We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Oblivion GOTY DLC problem & patches

Summer77

I've had Oblivion GOTY for PC since it came out in 2007. I installed it to my PC, with Win Vista, back in 2008, and it worked fine. DLCs present, patches worked, a ton of mods installed, etc.

Now I have a new laptop with Win 7. I installed Oblivion GOTY---but there is no folder for the DLCs (Knights of the Nine and The Shivering Isles)! No files at all seem to exist for them, even though I know they're in the GOTY version and have previously played them with another computer. The game does work, but only the basic vanilla Oblivion.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but the DLCs (KNOTN & SI) aren't there. I have the requisite patches (v. 1.2.0416, UOP, USIP, UOMP) downloaded. But... I imagine there's no use trying them when the DLCs aren't there, am I right?

Has this happened to any of you? That the DLCs aren't showing in the file folder or the game load screen where Data Files can be crossed/uncrossed? I basically have nothing there ATM but Oblivion.esm.

Is there some kind of fundamental problem with trying to install PC GOTY for Win 7? I seriously don't want to keep uninstalling and reinstalling a hundred times, if it changes/fixes nothing!

Anyone?

-Summer-

P.S. I tried to install the GOTY to my sister's laptop with Win 8, and the same thing happened there: Game works, but no DLCs anywhere.

The GotY is a two disk set, with SI etc. on the second disk.

You're right. Thanks, Striker879 :) The installation only happened with Disk 1. I had to manually install Disk 2. Why, oh why, didn't the computer ask for Disk 2 while installing in the first place? Who knows. Anyway, now I have the three .esm files (Oblivion, KOTN, and SI), and the game's version is 1.2.0416. Finally....

The game stutters quite a bit, though, so I'm going to add the Unofficial Oblivion Patch and the Unofficial Official Mods Patch to the mix too, just to see what happens. Helps to make the game smoother and less buggy? Sure hope so. The Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch turned every texture of the grounds and hills purple, so I'm guessing it wasn't the right thing to do, and I removed it.

Laptops generally don't make optimal gaming machines. Onboard graphics chips often share memory with the CPU, the CPUs themselves are often slow (especially if the laptop comes with a good gaming graphics solution ... corners need to be cut to meet some marketing guy's price point). When I bought a laptop for my oldest granddaughter a number of years ago I found I had to pay about a 50% premium to get good graphics and decent CPU.

Those same marketing guys also know how to take advantage of the buyer who know a bit about computers (the actual faster CPU added about 10 to 15% to the cost of manufacture). That's why I build my own gaming desktops.

Do a test with the UOSIP and your texture size set to large ... that was probably the issue (Oblivion would have likely defaulted to medium texture size based on your hardware ... it wouldn't know what to make of your hardware as none of the components existed way back last time the game was updated). The unofficial patches aren't meant to address any performance issues, just game bugs that Bethesda never bothered fixing (have you ever seen a floating rock for example). Many of the fixes are more than cosmetic though ... many bugs with NPC AI schedules and conflicts between the DLCs are also addressed.

Laptops generally don't make optimal gaming machines. Onboard graphics chips often share memory with the CPU, the CPUs themselves are often slow (especially if the laptop comes with a good gaming graphics solution ... corners need to be cut to meet some marketing guy's price point). When I bought a laptop for my oldest granddaughter a number of years ago I found I had to pay about a 50% premium to get good graphics and decent CPU.

Those same marketing guys also know how to take advantage of the buyer who know a bit about computers (the actual faster CPU added about 10 to 15% to the cost of manufacture). That's why I build my own gaming desktops.

Do a test with the UOSIP and your texture size set to large ... that was probably the issue (Oblivion would have likely defaulted to medium texture size based on your hardware ... it wouldn't know what to make of your hardware as none of the components existed way back last time the game was updated). The unofficial patches aren't meant to address any performance issues, just game bugs that Bethesda never bothered fixing (have you ever seen a floating rock for example). Many of the fixes are more than cosmetic though ... many bugs with NPC AI schedules and conflicts between the DLCs are also addressed.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do that. And yes, laptops aren't very good gaming machines, but I need a laptop to work, so it's my work AND personal computer at once. Hmm, maybe I need to invest in a proper gaming PC.... Something worth thinking about. I wish I was as good at building the right kind of machine as you seem capable of, though :)

Building your own takes a lot of time and effort ... not the building process per sec, but all the research needed to find that best "bang for the buck" suited to your own personal situation. Before I retired I'd spend a lot of time following all the latest developments. Now that I have more time on my hands I find I don't spend much time following the latest hardware developments (more time and less money). Back in the day I'd build a machine a year and hand down my old one to the grandkids. This year will be the first since I retired that one of the grandkids gets a new machine (I'm finally getting the last pieces I needed for a machine that I started buying for before I retired).

In a way I'm a lucky guy. I have no desire to join the Steam-masses, and pretty well every new game is a Steam release. Saves me money on buying new games, saves money on the hardware to run those new games. Even Microsoft loses out ... I'm still running XP Pro (though I did buy a copy of Win 7 for the new machine). Oblivion and all my old games work just fine on my machines, and outside of the pressure that the latest Oblivion mods put on hardware I'm happy living in the past.

May I ask what are your computers specs? I suffered from stuttering but I managed to fix it with the stutter remover as well as some ini tweaks mainly related to sound, and I have a very low end laptop.

I, like you, understand the necessity of having a laptop for work (in my case, for college) and it sucks that you can't have a desktop, since it would be costly to buy both a laptop and a desktop - The next time research more, some laptops with decent prices (under 1000€) come with mid ranged graphic cards that should be able to run Oblivion and even Skyrim. Heck a friend of mine bought a HP laptop for 400€ and he can run Skyrim on high settings.

Oblivion isn't optimized to use more than one processor, IMO my problem with Oblivion is not necessarily my Intel HD 2000 but rather my CPU speed, since each of my cores only has 2.2Ghz and the game recommends 3.0Ghz - I'm assuming I'm not using both processors since I have a dual core.

I too am trying to build a desktop but it takes lots of research and information - Mounting is no problem because I have a relative who will help me, but he doesn't game so he can't help me picking up the pieces.

For now I'll have to set with my laptop, which is enough for some casual gaming and does every other task just fine.

Edited by Blackout0219