planning for getting a new desktop gaming computer suggestions anyone?

i am looking into a new desktop as rite now all i have is my laptop and well those can be rather limmited for gaming so i plan on a budget of around $2,000. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I havent been keeping up with tech for a couple years now so thats why im doing this, to get an idea of whut to start looking at. thank you very mutch to any and everyone who posts in advance.

P.S. yes i know this is a topic with a lot of things depending on preferances but i would appreciate any feedback non the less.

Enless you dont mind wasting your money for a pc, then build one! with a budget of $2000 you can easily get a fantastic gaming rig. A custom Pc is also much more personal, you may want to invest in a 3D video card and a 3D monitor (of course these will cost more) as you may enjoy 3D gaming. Likewise you may wish to stick to normal gaming. It's entirely up to you.

Here are some suggestions:

Intel i7 940 Processor - 2.93GHz Quad Core. This can be overclocked to 4.2GHz if you buy an effeciant cooler. = $560 (possible +$50-100 for cooler)

Here

Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 = $775 This is easily one of the top 3 best video cards out there for public use at the moment.

Here

Corsair 8GB Ram (2x4gb) = $280

Here

Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM 16Mb buffer = $265

Here

Windows 7 Home premium (no higher needed, slows down computer) = $80

Here

Thermaltake VH600LBWS Armor+ Full-Tower ATX Case with Liquid Cooling = $325

Here

Samsung B2430H 24-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Glossy Black = $230

Here

Of course you will need other accesories such as sound cards (should cost no more than $50) and a keyboard/mouse etc, however you can go cheap on these (within reason). I've also quickly put this together, so i wouldnt go out and buy all these now, but this a rough understanding of how much a custom pc will cost you, all this (including an extra $100 for said water cooler) totals to $2600, $600 outside your budget but with a little time you could probably find these items cheaper, or prehaps cut back on the video card or the case etc (as i've listed prehaps the most expensive one out there) This could easily be reduced to $2000, and incase you've never built a computer, they are incredibly easy!

Your probably thinking "no way, thats to expensive!" but as i said, here i have pretty much listed some really expensive components, and you can much cheaper that can run a gaming computer just as well. You could probably get one for under $800 that can run new games on high graphics very well, but the more you spend now, the longer your computer will last, and hold its value. Thats a personal decision.

Hope you take into account what i've said and decide to buy one :)

thanks for the info like i said i have been slacking on keeping up with tech for the past few years so u know how easy it is to get out of the loop with computer tech and the like u have atleast given me a direction to look at so thank you very mutch.

P.S. expensive is the 4k alienware would want u to throw at them for some of this stuff no offence but they have become a lot like apple great product but they are asking too mutch for the sake of their name thats just my oppinion and i dont expect every1 to agree with it but atleast its honest lol.

woah...if you're going to build your own...DO NOT get that stuff on Amazon....that HDD is crazy overpriced...those are $75 on newegg.....and I wouldn't get the Upgrade version of Windows 7 either...you can get the OEM version for $100.Upgrade...you'll lose your CD key for XP...and it's always nice to have an extra copy of that lying around :P OEM just means you are the tech support, you get no support from Microsoft (which is horrid anyways).

You don't have to get the most crazy expensive stuff to have a godly computer. If you're on a tight budget...you can built yourself a nice gaming computer for $800-1000. AMD's processors and motherboards are much cheaper than Intel's...and give pretty much the same results. For the price of that i7, you could get almost two of these :P The motherboard would be at least $50-100 cheaper too. Spend about 150-250 on a graphics card...ya don't need the craziest graphics card ever to play games. A nice midrange GTX 460, Radeon 5770, something along those lines will have you set to play many newer games that are coming out. Get a good PSU (FSP, Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair)...500-700W would be good.

But, it's all up to you....but I really wouldn't go and spend $3000+ on a computer...half the time they are a headache. My friend just went overkill on his new system...and his motherboard could not recognize his graphics cards. The motherboard doesn't have onboard...so he had to pull out an ancient Geforce 4 so he could get a BIOS update to get his new Matrix 5870s to work :rolleyes:

woah...if you're going to build your own...DO NOT get that stuff on Amazon....that HDD is crazy overpriced...those are $75 on newegg.....and I wouldn't get the Upgrade version of Windows 7 either...you can get the OEM version for $100.Upgrade...you'll lose your CD key for XP...and it's always nice to have an extra copy of that lying around :P OEM just means you are the tech support, you get no support from Microsoft (which is horrid anyways).

You don't have to get the most crazy expensive stuff to have a godly computer. If you're on a tight budget...you can built yourself a nice gaming computer for $800-1000. AMD's processors and motherboards are much cheaper than Intel's...and give pretty much the same results. For the price of that i7, you could get almost two of these :P The motherboard would be at least $50-100 cheaper too. Spend about 150-250 on a graphics card...ya don't need the craziest graphics card ever to play games. A nice midrange GTX 460, Radeon 5770, something along those lines will have you set to play many newer games that are coming out. Get a good PSU (FSP, Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair)...500-700W would be good.

But, it's all up to you....but I really wouldn't go and spend $3000+ on a computer...half the time they are a headache. My friend just went overkill on his new system...and his motherboard could not recognize his graphics cards. The motherboard doesn't have onboard...so he had to pull out an ancient Geforce 4 so he could get a BIOS update to get his new Matrix 5870s to work :rolleyes:

good advice i was looking it over and some of it did seem a little high end even for high end lol quality doesnt need to mean overkill rite lol but thanks for providing those alternatives im just gonna keep looking atm as im in the process of getting the budget together lol tax time is a life saver too bad its about 7 months away on the up side most of those things will prolly settle down in the price department a little making it a little easier to manage lol still thanks for the help :)

Whether you buy a ready made box, or roll your own don't slack on the power supply. Get a good one and make sure it will handle any add on boards such as a powerful video card - even if you don't get a top of the line video card right away it will save you money down the road when you do upgrade.

If you do build your own, check to be sure the case is big enough to accommodate the extra length and height of some of the newer video cards, and that the card will not cover up some of the connectors on the motherboard when it is installed.

lots of sound advice thanks for the input and it has helped its given me some food for thought so to speak and i atleast have an idea whut im looking at rite now, thanks to the help from you all. im still just looking at parts as i said im gonna wait till taxes so i have all the budget i plan for and can get most if the parts i plan to get readily untill then im just keeping informed of whuts out there and making decisions on whut im gonna get but this has deffinetly helped a lot so again yea yea i know repetitious lol thank you all for the ideas and advice. :turned: if all goes well when i do finally get going on this it will come out pretty well till then keep playing/moding and always try to have fun cause lifes just too short not to lol :)

Iol you took the words right out of my mouth.