Hacking. Cheating. And the death of honourable gaming?

Vindekarr

28 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts on hceating.

• I think it is right to win by any means. Even hacking.
    • Cheating is a crime, and I would never take part in it.
    • I try to play fair, but cant always win without cheating.
    • It is better to lose as an honest man than win a cheat.
    • Other. You will be required to post an explaination.
  2. 2. Your thoughts on the developer's response.

• I dont see what is wrong with hacking. remove the laws.
    • They do too little to stop this. I call for drastic action.
    • More must be done, but without becoming nazis.
    • I dont really think anything needs to change.
    • Other. please post and explain.

In recent days, weeks, months and years. It has become increasingly accepted to cheat and hack in multiplayer video games. From people in Halo 3 online using all forms of glitches and trickery. To outright and blatant hacking in games like Call Of Duty.But what are your thoughts on the matter? And on enforcement of laws and rules.

For my two cents I really think that various authorities dont do enough to keep their games secure and sanct. Considering how many Steam games have becaome so riddled with cheating lying creeps that the criminals outnumber the loyal, I really drastic action is needed, and sooner rather than later. I for one would never, and have never, cheated or hacked.

I will however state now that while this is a divisive issue. NO FLAMING, BULLYING OR TROLLING WILL BE TOLERATED . We are all brothers and sisters in our love of gaming. Let this remain a civilised discusion or I will request to have it lokced. That is a promise.

I remember when you played Dungeon Siege and everyone hacked to level 225 to obtain all the cool stuff (I know I did, once). There is nothing wrong with cheating (and let me state this in bold) in single player as you are playing by yourself and you could do whatever you like but as we move on to multi-player then that's a different story.

When you cheat in multi-player, you are only letting yourself down. I wish I could get rid of all the cheat codes but alas we can't do that as people will find other ways of cheating. Devs can't really do anything either as they use the codes in tests. In all seriousness I don't anything is going to change, it is too difficult to police people (or do you like it to end up like Sony and Microsoft where patches need to be certified before release and mods that are legitimate can't be used as it is not certified) and all you really need to do is to be diligent in the people who come to play.

cheets are for single player use only....useing them in multy-play is just patheatick.....and with most games (GTA IV amoung outhers) acturally stop the player (you) from getting acheavements if you cheet at any time.....i hope Fallout:New Vegas is like this outher wise it would be to easy to get the achevement for playing throught the game with "serviveail" enabled(it gives waght to ammo and meds.....you also have to eat and drink or you will start to die.)

I'll start with saying that I despise cheating in a multi-player game, and it shows a lack of sportsmanship. Using 'cheats' in a single player only environment doesn't bother me, and I've done it a few times for fun (permanent invulnerability with chainsaws in the original Dooms an example).

I've seen it in TF2 a couple of times. One time recently on a 24/7 2-fort server someone joined and used a speedhack to grab the intel and run back to their base in less than 3 seconds! He was banned by an admin but he scored 2 points this way and the other team won 3-2 because of this. :verymad:

There was a gnome warrior or rogue in WoW that we got suspended for using lag hacks while PvPing in the Outlands back when I still played WoW. He was constantly 'blinking' and we reported him immediately after returning to Shattrath. The best part is that even with his lag-hack he wasn't doing very well.

I even saw it back in the old tabletop wargaming days. We were playing Empires in Arms which has semi-secret bookkeeping and we were all suspicious of the Austrian players army size. Gold is secret and can be traded but manpower is not so we sat down and calculated and found that he had lied on his manpower factors so much that he got a free corps out of it! We had to kill the game and replace him and start over.

If you have to cheat to win just don't play with others is my view.

Really depends; in DA and ME2 I never would because I think each class should have its role and place, strengths and weaknesses; when I see people on youtube hacking ME2 to give an Adept Shepard the Revenant or weapon training in everything, well I just don't get it; it spoils it for me so I would never do it.

Like the majority of people who posted here so far I see nothing wrong with cheating in singleplayer to a certain extent, but I think the people who host the master servers (the servers' server) in multiplayer games like Diablo 2 and WoW should do more to stop cheating and hacking. But a the same time mods are sometimes detected as cheats/hacks, so maybe this should be litmited to MMOs and games that don't have many mods.

i don't use cheats or hacks period. if i can't get past the level, i go back and level my chars, get new armor and weapons, and try again. i do yous hacks on GTA though becuase is fun and i don't use them for the campian missions.

I wanted to add that in single player games I only cheat for fun (like my aforementioned Doom cheat) and/or when I've already beaten the game normally. One of the things that helped me solo so well in MMOs is learning how to beat harder encounters in single-player games. This stood me well in City of Heroes when you used to have to root yourself for status effect protection as an Invulnerability/xxxx tanker. Having to set yourself up in advance for certain mobs (status effects= death very often at higher levels solo in CoH/CoV) was something I developed in my single player experiences.

In multi-player games cheating is the low of the low, not only do you spoil it for others but there can't be any sense achievement for winning. Single player is different, sometimes developers get carried away when it comes to "challenging" the player and make later stages in games a chore rather than fun, I'm more than happy to use them then, chances are I wouldn't see the end of the game I paid for I didn't. I also use them to get rid of certain game mechanics I dislike, for instance I up my characters Security/Lockpick level in Oblivion/Fallout with the console because I detest the annoying mini-games.