Just a few ideas...

DesperadoDC

Hello, I am DesperadoDC. I am a fan of both Fallout and TES: Oblivion. I do enjoy the mods i have found here very much and they have increased the excitement and fun of the said games for myself. However, I find myself wondering if anyone has made certain mods that i, and hopefully many others would be interested in seeing added to the game. I wish I had the talent to make the mods myself but i lack the skill required for such an undertaking. I myself am a little of a perfectionist, so doing a mod, to me would mean doing it right down to the slightest detail. I do not think i would have the patience for myself. That is why I decided to post in the forums a request for modders to take what ideas i suggest, that they like, and create.

Request 1:

As I played through Fallout 3 on one of the many files I've played I became increasingly intrigued with Tenpenny Tower. From the outside of this illustrious building you can see that there are many floors that hold many a resident. However there is no option to travel to the rest of the floors. They have the base floor and second floor, then you can travel to the third floor were their are rooms for people like Dashwood, and then there is an elevator to the suites at the top. There are about maybe 7-12 floors missing in this building.

Now to my request... I wish to see these floors opened and explorable. There are many creative opportunities to be had with this project. These new floors can lead to new interesting NPC's, which in turn can open up new companions and missions. Now I'm not asking for all of that. I just want the rest of Tenpenny Tower to become explorable. If you wish to add people to the new areas, that would be most appreciated.

I do have a suggestion on how to get to each floor... The elevator. I now it was an obvious choice but i had to throw the thought onto the board anyways. If you do choose to take on this task please post and say so, that way people know someone is on the project. On the other hand, if this mod has already been made and I was just plain blind to see it I do hope that someone can point me into the right direction.

Thank you for your time,

DesperadoDC.

The problem with the elevator is that it is classed as a door by the G.E.C.K and so can only have one entrance and one exit. To acess other floors extra sets of stairs and doors would have to be placed. I don't have enough experience with the G.E.C.K to do this right now but if it is anything like the construction set for oblivion then an entire floor is one item and individual stairway items don't exist. A nice idea though, hopefully somone with more skill in the G.E.C.K than me will read this request.

The scripting to govern an elevator to move between the floors would be easily doable. I should be-able to get that done for you if you can find someone to create the cells for the floors.

The cells would just need to contain the elevator + interior positioned as if it had stopped at that floor, with a set of working elevator doors (steal them from washington monument if no-one can create) and a button (activator) on the inside and outside. (Function is identical to reality) I don't know how they did the moving-surrounding's animation for the washington monument elevator, so the elevator itself would need to be in good condition, ie no holes in walls, that way just a screen rumble should be sufficient for the movement effects. (Not entirely sure how to go about it, not exactly mod breaking if it doesn't get implemented though)

As zac said, the elevator in tenpenny functions like a door, so the actual tenpenny cells which have elevator access would need to be modified to contain the elevator interior.

Unless you aren't interested in the interior, and just want it so you select which floor and are instantly ported there? Cause that would be very easy and wouldn't require the elevator to be created, or cell models to be modified (cell would still have to be modified to attach script). 1st options is still preferable for visuals though.

I'm useless at editing cells though, so someone else will have to get that done, but ss long as all the activators (+elevator doors) are in place I can get the scripts finished.

You could also simplify the elevator as just a small cell that reminds you of an elevator, then have a series of small buttons (hell, small doors would do) and by pressing each "button" you get teleported to that floor, the feeling of riding an elevator would really grow on your specially if you have to use it alot.

Though, aren't there NPCs that use the elevator? Burke does? Maybe? Could lead to some incompatibilities...

The burke bit shouldn't be a problem, I haven't looked at his scripting/AI, but it could be setup that the elevator button on the outside works as a door for everyone except the player, so they path through that, but it only opens a door if the player activates it (or moves the player into a dummy elevator cell).

I wonder if you could place an control panel beside the elevator that would look like a regular elevator call button. when activated a prompt screen would appear asking which floor would you like to use,and for simplicity it would just poof you there. I think that would allow for functionallity but also leave the script for the regular elevator alone. So there would be a script for the panel and a script for the door... the door being the original and the panel being the mod. I think this would allow us to by pass running any character errors...

Any thoughts?

I don't... I think we're looking at this wrong, the elevator ain't the main problem.

Thinking that the first 2 floors of windows is the entrance area, the 3rd floor is the only floor available in vanilla.

We have 8-10 floors to make, with NPCs and compatability with the Tenpenny Tower quest, etc.

I say "we", I mean someone.

The basement is only ever so big, y'know?

I think I might take this on. I can get the doors from the washington mounment. I will re-texture the inside of the monuments elevator to not have any holes. I will then Retexture a button to look like an actual elevator button. I will script the outer button of both the vanilla floors and the doors to teleport NPCs between the vanilla floors for the player however It will open the doors and you will step inside then hit the inner button where a menu will pop up asking what floor. Then like in the washington monument it will go up or down then when you get to the designated floor it will teleport you to the cell that contains the floor specified. This means each fllor though will require its own Elevator in the GECK however this is no issue. Let me know what you guys think of my plan and feel free to coment on anything you would like added.

Your logic on the project sounds stable and rational to me. Of course in not sure of how to do any of this stuff myself. The idea of using the elevator from the WM sounds perfect as does the ability to move between floors. I do not want to ask for to much but like i said before that this project can open up opportunities for other projects like new NPCs, quests, weapons, and companions.... I leave the creativity to you. However if you wish to pick my brain on certain matters I will be happy to oblige.

By all means please hit me with any and all ideas and ill see what i can do. This feels like it will be fairly quick to make if i dont put stuff in the new floors. I might just create them for now and release it like so and then in the next version Ill make buyable stuff for it like in the vanilla homes