Fresh windows install, success rate of this?

marat569

Hello, I'm getting a new ssd in the mail and well wondering the success rate of this:

Currently Skyrim is in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim
And Mod Organizer is in:

C:\Games\Skyrim ModOrganizer
When I reinstall windows on the new SSD, the SSD will be my C drive and my old hard drives will be A, B, D ,whatever..

If I install steam, skyrim, the DLCs, and SKSE then drag mod organizer into the exact same location it was in from my old HDD (c:\games\Skyrim ModOrganizer), and drag the skyrim folder from mygames to the new mygames.. will it work or is there another way?

Thanks!

It *should* work, at least it works with NMM, not tried it with MO, so long as folder structure and filepaths are exactly mirrored on the new drive as it was on the old. Its easier to just clone your existing install over to the new drive though. Then turn on AHCI mode in the BIOS and change a setting in the registry to enable in Windows if it's not on already. Depending on the drive it may have software to optimize your install for SSD failing that there are guides for enabling TRIM, turn off indexing, hibernation, move pagefile to a second drive, etc etc. Doesn't take long.

Obviously if you're looking for absolutely optimum perfomance then a reinstall is the way to go but its a lot of work.

Uhh I have my SSD sitting here in a bracket waiting for a response. I want to install this thang already but want to transition skyrim as smoothly as possible :smile:

Simply mirror existing O/S installation on to SSD then change the drive letter in Windows...

You can dual boot your O S just change drive letters around. there are other ways as well.

You can use disk manager in Windows

This post is a bit late, but I've succeed.

> Removed by HDD

> Installed fresh W7 on my new SSD

> Put HDD back in

> SSD is now C:\ and HDD is B:\

> Use steam to re-download skyrim + DLC's

> Put Mod Organizer back in the same directory on the new c: drive ( c:\games\Skyrim ModOrganizer)

> Everything works as if it was never touched :)

A small guide to those who re-install windows, didn't have to even re-install MO -- just drag to it's "old" directory.

No need to dual boot, just set the primary drive as your main boot drive in bios and remove your old/other as being seen as a boot drive.