Questions about creating custom courier quest.

sonogu

Hi,

I just completed my fist mod. The mod contains a hideout but i want to add a courier quest in it.

However i am not sure about something, is it possible for the courier to deliver a key along with a letter?

Than is there any good tutorial about courier quest & default quest scripts? I searched through google and found few youtube tutorials which have a certain aproach on the authors' planned quest, so it is too much for my basic courier quest also scripting part (without using default scripts) seems hard to deal for me. All i want to do is soon as the player escapes the helgen the courier gives the note and (if possible) the key. If i can do this, maybe i can add another quest to find the location of the hideout.

Thanks.

I can tell you for sure that if you get the Courier to give the letter to the player, you can also script a small event that goes something like this:

if player has in inventory object with ID, additem key

More or less, this way you can use the prebuilt functions made available by the CK

Just add a part that when the note is added you also add the key.

They do this in this tutorial. In the note script, just add the extra part to the script:

Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(MyMiscObjectKeyProperty, 1)

Of course you have to make a Miscobject key property that poitns to your key too.

They do this in this tutorial. In the note script, just add the extra part to the script:

Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(MyMiscObjectKeyProperty, 1)

Of course you have to make a Miscobject key property that poitns to your key too.

I read the tutorial u adviced and also watched few youtube tutorials on this matter. There is something I couldn't get. In which exact stage we are arranging the conditions (triggers) of the courier meets us. I mean i want courier to meet the player when player visits the standing stones for the first time (no matter the player is on which level etc.)

I decided to follow the tutorial you adviced but in the part the tutorial directs us to "Now you need to add a property to your quest fragment script. If you don't have one yet, go to the Quest Stages tab, make a new journal entry for one of your stages, enter a semicolon (;) in the papyrus fragment box, hit compile, then close and reopen the quest.

In the Scripts tab of your quest, there should be a script with a name like QF_NameOfYourQuest_0200800. Highlight this script and select Properties.

Add a property. For the type, don't choose from the drop-down list; instead, enter "WICourierScript". Then give the property a name; we will go with "CourierScript" in this example. For filling the property, there should only be one possible value (WICourier); that's the right one" I am heving papyrus errors and i can not choose any property so i can't fill the property too.

• 10 months later...

That sounds like what happened to me, in one of the updates to the CKit the patch deletes a bunch of source scripts, and without them the CK doesnt work, however there is a backup of the scripts in scripts.rar in the data, unpack that into the right folders, dont overwrite anything though, and then reload the CK and try again, If its the problem I had it will now work fine.

I decided to follow the tutorial you adviced but in the part the tutorial directs us to "Now you need to add a property to your quest fragment script. If you don't have one yet, go to the Quest Stages tab, make a new journal entry for one of your stages, enter a semicolon ( :wink: in the papyrus fragment box, hit compile, then close and reopen the quest.

In the Scripts tab of your quest, there should be a script with a name like QF_NameOfYourQuest_0200800. Highlight this script and select Properties.

Add a property. For the type, don't choose from the drop-down list; instead, enter "WICourierScript". Then give the property a name; we will go with "CourierScript" in this example. For filling the property, there should only be one possible value (WICourier); that's the right one" I am heving papyrus errors and i can not choose any property so i can't fill the property too.

I have used this tutorial for the vanilla courier with much success very well written and easy to follow. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1460233-tutorial-using-the-vanilla-courier/?p=22670041

Also what errors are you getting from Papyrus. If you have not done any scripting since the last update months ago, see here http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2711734-the-extends-script-does-not-exist/?p=25978189

• 8 months later...

you know what none of this s#*! works. I have watched every available video and read and tried every available text tutorial I could find and nothing works.

Every single one of these "tutorials" ASSUMES the person watching them or reading them has some grasp on it and just expect the audience to know certain things.

If you're watching/reading a tutorial the POINT is to learn this stuff.

Being treated like we should already know certain stuff is like saying we're idiots because we don't.

It's frustrating beyond belief.

you know what none of this s*** works. I have watched every available video and read and tried every available text tutorial I could find and nothing works.

Every single one of these "tutorials" ASSUMES the person watching them or reading them has some grasp on it and just expect the audience to know certain things.

If you're watching/reading a tutorial the POINT is to learn this stuff.

Being treated like we should already know certain stuff is like saying we're idiots because we don't.

It's frustrating beyond belief.

Where are you getting stuck?