Does a horse really make you significantly faster?

MidbossVyers

One time I was riding my Bay Horse to the Inn of Ill Omens when I was attacked by wolves or wild dogs. I had to get off my horse, kill the canines, then backtrack to get back my horse that ran away to get back on him and continue. Happened 3 times in the same trip. Horses seem to have a difficult time getting across hills and rough terrain, so taking shortcuts that you could have taken on foot is out. So is horse-riding really faster in the long run?

Well, I love my horsey because I don't use the Fast Travel, and even though I have a fast character, going with my horse is insanely faster.

You might be seeing poor results 'cause you got a dumb horse, so if you want my opinion: if you want to see a difference, gather up 5000 gold, head over to Cheydinhal and buy a Black Horse (being the fastest buyable horse in the game).

Have fun getting to places even faster than fast travel and outrunning whatever stands on your road. :whistling:

Depending on your Speed attribute and the type of horse, it can actually make you slower. Paint horses have limited usefulness especially when your speed is fairly high, and with speed enhanced above 100, you can potentially run faster than a black horse. You can use on-touch Fortify Speed spells on a horse, but be careful with this because they have a much larger speed multiplier than Humanoids do, and can easily be made to run so fast that they're dangerous or lethal to ride.

Depending on your Speed attribute and the type of horse, it can actually make you slower. Paint horses have limited usefulness especially when your speed is fairly high, and with speed enhanced above 100, you can potentially run faster than a black horse. You can use on-touch Fortify Speed spells on a horse, but be careful with this because they have a much larger speed multiplier than Humanoids do, and can easily be made to run so fast that they're dangerous or lethal to ride.

Oh god, I definitely have to try that lol.

Oh god, I definitely have to try that lol.

I got from chorrol to cheydinhal in less than a minute with a 100 speed boost to my horse. xD

I can believe it - a 100 speed boost on a horse plus their natural speed of 30 or so, with the x3 horse speed multiplier...

That horse basically had a Speed Skill of 400. :)

Oh, and for extra fun, fortify Athletics as well as Speed, since both affect overall speed.

Well, I love my horsey because I don't use the Fast Travel, and even though I have a fast character, going with my horse is insanely faster.

You might be seeing poor results 'cause you got a dumb horse, so if you want my opinion: if you want to see a difference, gather up 5000 gold, head over to Cheydinhal and buy a Black Horse (being the fastest buyable horse in the game).

Have fun getting to places even faster than fast travel and outrunning whatever stands on your road. :whistling:

Yea i notice that to XD