Sexism in Thedas

Lehcar

I think it is because of the medieval (european) character of the game. The first time i noticed that is the beginning of the human noble female origin story. All men are going to fight and Daddy Cousland is asking his daughter to stay at home. The next is the story to become a gray warden. There aren't much female ones i guess :ermm:

I think it is because of the medieval (european) character of the game. The first time i noticed that is the beginning of the human noble female origin story. All men are going to fight and Daddy Cousland is asking his daughter to stay at home.

If you play as a male "Daddy Cousland" asks his youngest son to stay at home so there is no discrimination there.

The next is the story to become a gray warden. There aren't much female ones i guess :ermm:

If you read the books there are several. Duncan is conscripted by a female Warden Commander and

Alistair's mother Fiona was a Elven Grey Warden mage

For the original poster. The character creator would obviously be directed at Humans when it refers to men and women of Thedas. Dwarves of course land under their entire own laws and religions and everything as do elves. Who in the main nomenclature of Thedas are considered lesser species. Also the Qunari are not from Thedas at all. And their entire culture is derived on placing the best skills for a job.

For a final note... Remember that Thedas is roughly based off of Medieval Europe.

Oh and towards rustyblades comment. It's normal to leave at least one of your bloodline at home in case you don't return. So that your bloodline can continue. There is a similar thing in real world military.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a mod to correct the male/female ideas in Thedas?

The ideas are discriminatory towards men and throughout the Dragon Age game there is a bias to favor the female NPCs over the male ones. For example the classes are set so that you easily can play the game with female only players but you will struggle with only male players because they are all made to be "one man warriors" with no necessary skill more than swinging a weapon. This horrible idea corresponds to the prejudices against men in todays society and it's very unbecoming for an otheriwse nice game. Also the females are put in the center of character selection screen while the men are at the back. This is also sexist.

This should also be made to make the visual correspond with abilities (and also reality which only corresponds to visual now):

- Females should get two free persuasion levels (+2 skill points = 6 attribute points?)

- Females should get a little more dexterity than men (+5?)

- Females should get a little more mental resistance than men (+7?)

- Men should gain much more strength than females (+5?)

- Men should get much more physical resistance than females (+10?)

- Men should get a little more cunning than women (+3?)

This equals the bonuses to +18 for both sexes.

The above corrections are scientifically justified claims of inherent differences between the biology of the sexes and to hide these from the players are offensive and discriminatory and confusing towards all because the visual cue tells us that they should be there. None of these differences are large enough to pose a problem for the character to overcome them by spending level up points in the right places though.

Another way to solve this problem is of course to make characters like Sten about half as big and equal in size to Leliana. Then they can have the same strength but the way it is now is ridiculous imho.

Well, ignoring the validity (or lack of it) in the reasoning behind what you propose, you can accomplish most of what you say is your goal using: "A collection of Tome Scripts" on Nexus. You just have to assign the attributes appropriately yourself.

So your males can start-off significantly stronger and tougher, and your fermales more dexterous and pursuasive, than they would by default. (I'm not sure if mental and physical resistence is calculated from the inital attributres or not, but if so, you get those plusses as well.)

Issue... Addressed.

Problem... Solved.

Well, ignoring the validity (or lack of it)

Issue... Addressed.

Problem... Solved.

Great. Judging by your anwser you should ignore commenting the subject. It should have been in the game from the beginning though. When I role played Dungeons and Dragons as a kid the truth about the difference between the sexes was allowed to be uttered. It does take away from the experience when what you see on the screen does no correlate with the game dynamics.

Now this would be a great mod to address the discrepancy in size and give a much better feel to gameplay:

When physical skills are used causing a knock down the ratio in model size should factor in on how far the knocked model should move. Sten knocking an elven female for example should send her away about 4 times as long as when the opposite happens. An ogre fighting Sten should kock him a fair bit and completely send Leliana through the wall. This would add to depth to the strategy needed in game as well as enhance both realisticity and feeling.

Is there any such mod?