Have video games inspired you to take up a real hobby or sport?

Vindekarr

Lets face it, some of the things you get to do in a video game are pretty awesome. So when that one is done, you'll run out and buy another one.

But sometimes, some of us, actualy feel like doing some of that awesome stuff for reals.

About three years ago I picked up an unremarkable orange case for the XBox 360, Forza Motorsport. Hmm I thought, windows trying to make a Gran Turismo? this oughta be funny. But I ended up stumbling upon one of the best gems of a racer I've seen in a long time, and it really got me interested in motorsport to a new degree. From watching the occasional touring car race I braved the late 10:35 PM starts and tried out the top spec motor racing, became addicted to that too, and over three years got turned into a total maniac.

After those three years I'd also eventualy gotten to know an uncle of mine, a mechanic, and learning a bit about how to make old cars run. Now, at about this time I got my basic driver's licence. First try I might add, didnt once make the tester puke either, honest :) And from there went on to an advanced driving course. Thats where the fun began.

In australia and a lot of western countries, there is a tradition of opening proffesional race tracks to the public on weekends, ANYONE who has a driver's licence, a car that pases safety inspection, and a helmet, is allowed to pay what is where I live $20 and then do whatever they like on track. They're fun not only because you get to race a car in a safe controlled environment, but they're also popular with other car crazies with motor oil for blood-and some of them have pretty awesome cars. Last one I went to, I saw a brand frikkin new Porche GT3 cup car, a Ferrari 355 with racing modifications, and the ultimate in nerd's road rockets, a Caterham Fireblade.

Anyway, it's been fun, I normaly do what a lot of folks do and just buy something old and decrepit used that used to have sports conotations, and then sell it as scrap when it breaks. Good fun, especialy because it's a cheap way to enjoy a fun sport-and to "sample" a lot of classic cars.

So I'm wondering: I've been enough of a nutcase to actualy go out after playing a racing game and have a go at non proffesional race driving for a hobby, anyone else done something similarly interesting?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, even if this might sound wierd or strange, that video games made me a better(as good) person, especialy TES games, starting with Morrowind and Oblivion, I even dare say Fallout3(I had a short experience with it to), becouse what ever I do or what ever character I make, most end up at least neutral, while most are good or very good. In Morrowind I always did the quests knowing that(roleplaying speaking) that person(NPC) will feel better and like me more.

As for the real hobby, I think Oblivion and it's mods made me like gardening more. I like cultivating vegetables for my own use, take care of them etc. In Oblivion I used mods like the ones that add farm houses you can take care of, plant and grow crops or other plants. So yeah, there is a small connection.

I took up airsoft. Now im thinking about building a Predator suit.... BWA HA HA HA

somewhat unrelated, I think that the kind of games we buy can be really influenced by what we like to do in real life, I like putting things together, and I have a distinct love for games with heavy customization or problem solving.

Hobby as in physical activity no, but thats mostly because Im disabled (back is shot)

but I call reading a hobby and the games that made me pick up books are

1) The Witcher - The Last Wish and Blood of Elves - by Andrzei Sapkowski (amazing books, must read recommended)

2) Mass Effect - Revelation and Ascention and Retribution - by Drew Karpyshyn (excellent books, must read)

3) Darth Bane (TOR related kinda) - Path of Destruction - Rule of Two - Dynasty of Evil - by Drew Karpyshyn (must read)

4) Star Wars: The Old Republic - Fatal Alliance - by Sean Williams - yet to be read

5) Dragon Age:- The Stolen Throne - The Calling - by David Gaider - so so quality, good time filler but dont put something else to read.

6) Endless Forgotten Realm Books because of the old SSI Gold Box games (assorted quality from great to terrible)

Games on windows inspired me to:

1 - learn hacking and all the associated activities.

2 - learn the Art of propaganda. You change $100 to $99.99 and Newbies will calculate that it is lower price (it is) but since it is done in Mathematics they are the same.

3 - Get active in gaming forums. This also improves my English.

4 - become a hardware geek, yeah really, getting to know my pc's intrails was Fun, and I consider my self the best at mixing and matching modules. I even got good enough at it to build a pc on my own that can run crysis at 1080p with a smooth 50 FPS.

Note: I played GTA IV and it encouraged me to become a murdering hitman, Jack thompson rules, hooah!!!

Video games have actually interested me in politics, ethics, science and history. Without Age of Empires (my first real game), I would not have immersed myself into the world of today. Without these games (and my parents guidance, of course) I would not have become the calm, educated person that I am today. And who says that games aren't educational :whistling:

No - for me gaming is just entertainment.

Dummy politics, stunning acrobatics, amazing magic or the seven lives of a cat soldier as in an unreal game have never ever played a role in my real life.

Yes, after playing the part of a member of the Black Hand, I went out and became an assassin.

Seriously, for me it was the opposite. My hobby, building and upgrading computers, led me to computer games.