How Do I Force a Topic

DavidBudreck

I am trying a new mod, but the quest won't start.

This should be simple enough. The SetStage I need is in a topic; the only criteria for this topic is the ID of the NPC, so when I speak with him, he should have the topic, but he doesn't.

I have tried "AddTopic" but this causes an error because it does not recognize the ID of the Topic. I presume this is do the the prefix Oblivion adds to mods to give them unique ID's, but I have never been able to figure out how to work that, and there does not appear to be anything physical from this mod I could try to grab an ID from with Refscope.

The topic is not "GREETING" so it should not be affected by the Greeting Topic Bug.

The logic is VERY simple, rudimentary even (GetIsID NPCstandingInFrontOfMe == 1). This should work, but it doesn't. And without that topic, the whole mod is broken because it won't start.

I have tried adding a script to the NPC with an OnLoad Block that Adds the Topic, but that has no effect either.

If I force this through some other means, by removing the logic from the Topic Dialog and placing it in a script, what happens if other critical topics won't show up, either?

What could cause an NPC to refuse to discuss a topic?

Did you copy a topic from the game, or create a new one of your own? The AddTopic bug is not restricted to just 'GREETING', but any topic copied from Oblivion.

The topic has a UniqueID, so is not conflicting with aything in vanilla Oblivion. It's not my mod, and I can't really go into detail about the mod itself as I am sworn to secrecy, but the problem is not something specific to this mod. I have had it before with starting the Thieves' Guild Quests.

I did not use the AddTopic box of the Dialog Window; in the Script I just used AddTopic in an OnLoad Block.

I have subsequently removed the Script from the actor since that obviously was not working.

I added a script to the quest and made a GameMode block with Player.GetInCell reference.

I placed a simple "Now should be talking to the player" message so I could tell when this was supposed to fire,

then used NPCref.StartConversation Player 0Duties (the topicID).

The message appears, but the NPC refuses to talk.

The ONLY criteria on this Topic is GeIsID NPC == 1

I have checked the ID of the NPC against the GetIsID of the Topic SEVERAL times.