Oblivion and steam

trekkie107

hey guys and gals.

i recently bought the Elder scrolls 4 game of the year edition on stream for £20 / $30. only to the discover that for some arbitrary reason steam wont let me mod the game.

i cant install a mod manager, script extender or even the invalidation activator.

If anyone knows of a way to mod the steam version of oblivion or any advice on what to do, then please help me. i would be eternally grateful :)

PS: if you know of any good body replacers, mod managers or script extenders then please post links. thanks :)

never heard of any reason that Steam wouldn't allow you to mod the game

but there are too many threads to count

about WIndows7/Vista and its Evil UAC conspiring to disavow any mod you attempt

This too can be solved

but you need to install steam outside of any directory named

in any part

Program

then install your modable game

You can mod the Steam version of the game the same way you can mod the regular game. Your Oblivion directory should look like this:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\oblivion

As for suggestions:

Oblivion Mod Manager --- the best and most widely used mod manager

HGEC EyeCandy Body --- also very popular and widely used

Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE)

You can mod the Steam version of the game the same way you can mod the regular game. Your Oblivion directory should look like this:

As for suggestions:

thats the thing though, Oblivion mod manager wont install to that directory. when i select the directory and click continue i get the message "Oblivion mod manager must be installed to the oblivion installation directory"

also, would that fact that im using windows 7 64bit have anything to do with it?

As for suggestions:

thats the thing though, Oblivion mod manager wont install to that directory. when i select the directory and click continue i get the message "Oblivion mod manager must be installed to the oblivion installation directory"

also, would that fact that im using windows 7 64bit have anything to do with it?

oddly i can apply other mods i cannot however mod the game i am having the same problem modding my game and i have windows 7 AND steam version the security of windows vista and 7 apperntally think the SDK modding the game is malicious software and won't allow you to do it if it is inside the programs files but since steam installs games into its directory and steam by default downloads in the program files section

• 3 years later...

Here a guide for getting Oblivion (and Steam) moved out of Program Files: Oblivion reinstall procedure. Don't miss the link near the top of the page about moving your Steam install, and also don't skip the registry cleaning step ... it's important.