Two basic modding questions

SLTheThird

I've yet to do any substantial modding, but I plan to remedy that soon. However, there are two quick things I would like to know that'd save a lot of time.

1: How many endorsements should a mod have before I consider it? Is 1000 endorsements enough to be fairly certain it should work properly (at least when other mods aren't conflicting)? More? Less?

2: How many mods can Skyrim handle? Assume they're 95% mods that have some effect on gameplay, with only 5% being purely aesthetic (I like my enemies varied, my battles tough, and my loot kickass, with maybe a blood enhancer or a redone map screen being secondary concerns).

1. Why should endorsements matter if you want to download a mod, that does NOT mean it works well or right. All it means is that either the mod has a high general interest with the masses (it could even just be a large breast enchantment mod, that adds nothing else but people endorse those alot. That does not make it better then a 10 hour quest that does not have breasts in it.) or that they released the mod during the first year of Skyrim when tons of people where around.

The ONLY thing that should matter are the comment section, read them if you see a ton of "Oh no this mod does not work!" and no modder saying "Oh my gosh I am so sorry, I am putting a fix up right now." then do not download it. OR you could download it and TEST it, if it works great if not then uninstall the mod.

2. Anything over 150 and you start to run into issues generally (255 is the hard code limit), this varies from person to person and depends on what mods your using. The rule normally is if its high res (and your computer is not top line or great) you might have problems, if its heavily scripted and you use alot of heavily scripted mods then trouble.

New to mods, do not over do it or you will run into problems and get upset. Also keep in mind its not always the modders fault, they did not make you install 250 mods lol.

Until you get a good feel for installing mods, it's a good idea to do them one at a time & make sure they don't make you CTD. It's easier to narrow down the problem ones this way.

1. Why should endorsements matter if you want to download a mod, that does NOT mean it works well or right. All it means is that either the mod has a high general interest with the masses (it could even just be a large breast enchantment mod, that adds nothing else but people endorse those a lot. That does not make it better then a 10 hour quest that does not have breasts in it.) or that they released the mod during the first year of Skyrim when tons of people where around.

The ONLY thing that should matter are the comment section, read them if you see a ton of "Oh no this mod does not work!" and no modder saying "Oh my gosh I am so sorry, I am putting a fix up right now." then do not download it. OR you could download it and TEST it, if it works great if not then uninstall the mod.

2. Anything over 150 and you start to run into issues generally (255 is the hard code limit), this varies from person to person and depends on what mods your using. The rule normally is if its high res (and your computer is not top line or great) you might have problems, if its heavily scripted and you use a lot of heavily scripted mods then trouble.

New to mods, do not over do it or you will run into problems and get upset. Also keep in mind its not always the modders fault, they did not make you install 250 mods lol.

I am indeed aware that modding is a test-heavy process. I haven't modded yet 'cause I've been waiting for a time where I'll have a good few straight days to work on it (which I'm getting soon). As long as I test the mods individually and see if my game explodes, I shouldn't have a problem-and I can change load order or remove the problem one if I do. That aside, is it correct that I (1) should work with 150 mods max, and (2) check the comments?

By the way, I figured the endorsements would be a good indication of whether they worked or not, since a mod that didn't work wouldn't get any endorsements, right?

2. Anything over 150 and you start to run into issues generally (255 is the hard code limit), this varies from person to person and depends on what mods your using.

Just out of curiosity...

This "under 150 mods" tip is just because usually we can't keep perfect track of incompatibilities, thus making it a pretty hard task to have a stable game with 150+ mods.... Or are you saying Skyrim really has a programming limitation that makes it have hard time managing too many esps at once, regardless of how compatible they are with each other?

Edited by CookieDynamics

By the way, I figured the endorsements would be a good indication of whether they worked or not, since a mod that didn't work wouldn't get any endorsements, right?

No. It could have worked previously, but not anymore after a patch. It's more about general interest. Like said, there are plenty of fantastic mods with 60 endorsements VS "Jiggly 8k Big Boobs Bouncing" mods with 10,000 endorsements.

No. It could have worked previously, but not anymore after a patch. It's more about general interest. Like said, there are plenty of fantastic mods with 60 endorsements VS "Jiggly 8k Big Boobs Bouncing" mods with 10,000 endorsements.

Yup.

I know a few older mods who can not work anymore because they never updated to the final Skyrim update, they still have a ton of endorsements from when they did work. So always best to read through the comments they can give a good indication of whether a mod is working as intended, not always of course but its better then relying on the endorsement system.