Computer Specifications Help

FatalxSyn

Before anyone points fingers, yes I did read the "Official Recognized Specifications & Unofficial Video Chipsets Spe" thread. It was somewhat helpful, but I'd like a bit more help.

My current system has gone..well it has pretty much died on me. Been having problems with it for awhile now. It was a decent system. Not the best, but I was able to play Skyrim on medium-high settings with some ultra HD graphic mods. As I said, not the best and most amazing gaming laptop ever.

So, I gotta get a new computer now. Been having Skyrim withdrawls.. Ahem. My budget is currently not the greatest, so until I can get money from taxes (which won't be until Feb or March even) I've got to settle with just getting a decent computer that will be able to run Skyrim with a few mods ad maybe decent settings.

Anyway, I've been browsing desktop computers and have come across a few that are a possibility. I would just like a bit of help with whether or not these computers could handle Skyrim and if they would allow me to play on medium-high settings with mods installed without horrible lag and a bad frame rate. Help is appreciated. :)

First One: (And yes, I am iffy on the "refurbished" thing, but it's cheaper and can easily be returned as well.. And the reviews are pretty good)

• Dell Refurbished Desktop PC with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and 4GB Memory
    2.93GHz
  • 4GB DDR2 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 8GB)
    Gives you the power to handle most power hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 1TB SATA hard drive
    Store 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of HD video and more
  • DVD-RW drive
    Watch movies and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats on the Windows 7 Pro Desktop(Monitor Not Included)and 1TB Hard Drive
  • 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet
  • Intel GMA 3000 GPU
    With VGA capabilities
  • Windows 7 Professional

Second One:

• Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    3.0GHz
  • 4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)
    Gives you the power to handle most power hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 750GB SATA hard drive
    Store 500,000 photos, 214,000 songs or 395 hours of HD video and more
  • DVD-CD/RW drive
    Watch movies and read and write CDs in multiple formats on this HP desktop PC with 4GB memory and 750GB hard drive
  • Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 Graphics on the Black HP 8000 Desktop
  • Windows 7 Professional

Third One:

• Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    3.16GHz
  • 1TB SATA hard drive
    Store 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of HD video and more
  • DVD-RW drive
    Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats
  • 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    Connect to a broadband modem or wired broadband router with wired Ethernet
  • Integrated Intel GMA 4500 Graphics
  • Windows 7 Professional

Fourth One: (Costs a little bit more. .__.)

• Intel Core 2 Quad processor
    2.40GHz
    Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 750GB SATA hard drive
    Store 500,000 photos, 214,000 songs or 395 hours of HD video and more
  • DVD-RW drive
    Watch movies and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats
  • Intel GMA 3000 Graphics
    With VGA capabilities
  • Windows 7 Pro

Which one would be the best? Suggestions/help is appreciated, but please no smart-ass remarks. .__.

My 2-cents on the situation is to wait until you have the cash. Buying something to tide you over is, in my opinion, a waste of money. You could hold on to the cash you're going to drop on a not-so-good-computer now, and put it on top of what you'll get back from tax in Feb.

Also, when the time comes, build it yourself. Spend the next couple months learning about hardware and what you need to do to build it. You'll save a lot of cash that way.

My 2-cents on the situation is to wait until you have the cash. Buying something to tide you over is, in my opinion, a waste of money. You could hold on to the cash you're going to drop on a not-so-good-computer now, and put it on top of what you'll get back from tax in Feb.

Also, when the time comes, build it yourself. Spend the next couple months learning about hardware and what you need to do to build it. You'll save a lot of cash that way.

Well "buildityourself" is a good one, I don't mind helping friends build pc's -- but personally I make a rig on ibuypower.com and rather pay the 70$ shipping to get a perfectly wire-managed, neat, and built computer and saving time. ibuypower lets you "build" your pc, just select all the parts you want like normal -- and the only price you pay is the 70$ shipping. 70$ more for saving an hour (possibly WAY more if op never built a pc, assuming he never has because of the computers he listed), and having extra fingers to point to for warrenty = worth

They could go that way too, sure. But 70 bucks is a lot when you're deciding whether or not you can afford a little better CPU, or find out the PSU you were planning to buy isn't really powerful enough to run the GPU you had picked out, so you need a more expensive one.

But, it's up to the OP. I'm just more of a hands-on type person. If I build it myself I know exactly what's in it, where everything goes and how to remove it if I need to.

I have absolutely no idea how to go about building my own computer. And the reason why I just wanted to get something cheap for now was because my husband wanted the computer after I got a new one. So the cheapy one wouldn't be a waste of money in the end. >_< And I figured some of those would be crap, wasn't sure if all would be, however. Thanks for the replies. Still trying to find something within my current budget that would work. As I said, I'm not looking for a ultra expensive high-end computer at the moment.

Edit: Would something similar to this be better then?

• AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core Processor
    3.80GHz, 4MB L2 Cache
  • 8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)
    The Black Desktop PC with 8GB Memory gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 500GB SATA hard drive
    Store 333,000 photos, 142,000 songs or 263 hours of HD video and more
  • 24x SuperMulti DVD Burner
    Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats on the Black Desktop PC with 8GB Memory
  • 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet
  • AMD R5 230 Graphics
    With up to 1GB dedicated graphics memory
Edited by FatalxSyn

Okay, say I want to build my own computer... Could anyone with the experience give me an estimate on how much it would cost to build a high-end gaming computer? I kow that prices vary widely depending on what is used, just hoping for a rough estimate,

I just built mine a few months ago. I'm in Australia, so everything is a lot more expensive here, but my whole rig, monitor included, was $2,176AU. Keep in mind that in Oz, everything is crazy expensive, so if you're in the US it won't be that much.

My specs:

i5 4690K

ASUS Z97-A Motherboard

Noctua NH-D14 cooler

8GB G-Skill Aries 1866 RAM

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB

Samsung EVO 120GB SSD (for Skyrim)

Western Digital 1TB HDD (For OS)

Antec High Current Gamer 620w PSU

Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 Claw Case

AroCool DS LED fans x4

ASUS VX239H IPS Monitor 23"

It's not the very best computer in the world, but it's pretty beefy. I run a lot of texture mods (nothing insane or 4k, but really nice textures) and a fairly heavy landscape overhaul at UgridsToLoad 7. I run the high quality preset of Grim and Somber Hericine ENB for screenshots and get about 38 - 45fps. During play I use the Performance version of the same ENB and never go under 45 but mostly get 50 - 60. Keep in mind that even with the extreme preset, it's smooth as butter. I don't get stuttering, which is pretty awesome considering I played on PS3 for years. :laugh:

Building your own rig is not hard, but you do have to be patient and meticulous, especially if you've never done it before. I hadn't built a computer since the 90s before I built my rig, and the computers I built back then were nothing like this. lol. They were standard office PCs for military use, so no fancy coolers or forearm-sized GPUs. It was a whole new world for me, I can assure you. There are many good YouTube channels that specialize in computer gear and some have newbie How To guides. I'm a visual learner, so those helped me a lot. I personally like LinusTechTips and JayzTwoCents.

As far as what you pick to put in the computer, it's really going to be up to you and your budget. I personally went with Intel and nVida because Skyrim seems to like that set up more. I DID have a Sapphire R9 280x before I upgraded to my 970 and it did okay, but my motherboard hated it and would dump the driver all the time. :down:

Anyway, for a load of information you can also check out Tom's Hardware. The guys over there helped me a lot when I was first trying to wrap my head around everything.

Edited by DurtyNelly

• AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core Processor

3.80GHz, 4MB L2 Cache

• 8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)

The Black Desktop PC with 8GB Memory gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

• 500GB SATA hard drive

Store 333,000 photos, 142,000 songs or 263 hours of HD video and more

• 24x SuperMulti DVD Burner

Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats on the Black Desktop PC with 8GB Memory

• 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet

• AMD R5 230 Graphics

With up to 1GB dedicated graphics memory

This one is certainly better than the others you've listed. It's at least quad core and has an actual GPU, even if it's only 1GB. It's still not going to set the world on fire, but it's the best one so far. I would imagine you'd have to turn things down or off to get good fps, but with some of the optimizing mods on Nexus it might be okay.

If the computer is for your hubby when all is said and done, and it's just to tide you over until Feb, it could work.

Edited by DurtyNelly