Can't paint a road with RoadStoneSmall01

Hanker109

Hi there! Like always, I'm trying to learn how to use the Construction Set so I can start building mods. Since I'm new into this, to gain experience, I'm building a small house on the Imperial City Isle. The outer shell is finished but I have not been able paint a road from the main trail to the house. After loading Oblivion.esm and activating "MySmallHouse", I pressed "H" to bring the Landscape Editor, selected RoadSoneSmall01,with a radius of 1, move the mouse forward and backwards while pressing the right mouse button. The curious thing is that it will not allow me to paint the road in just that particular area which shows only grass. If I move out of the area, I can paint a road without problem. One thing I've learned with this experience is to really appreciate the effort and hard work of all those modders out there to bring those fantastic mods. I hope someone can, if possible, give me a hint on how to solve this.

You are probably trying to paint in a quad that has already used up it's "quota" of textures.

Each quad cell can only contain nine different textures. If you try to use one that isn't already in that quad's list it won't display. Here's a link to a TES Alliance description of the solution: CS Basics: General Questions - Construction Set Basics

Here's a link to some other TES Alliance CS resources: Construction Set Basics - ESIV: Oblivion Modding - Tutorials

- Edit - Corrected an "Oops" on the first link

- Edit 2 - Corrected that it should be cell and not quad that can only contain 9 textures.

Edited by Striker879

Hi Strike! Once more you come to the rescue. You must have a whole library in that head of yours, I see you post just about any subject on these threads and I'm certainly in appreciation for that. I forgot mentioning that I tried to build "MySmallHouse" on top of the installed "UL - Imperial Isle" in order to eliminate patches from possible land tears and other glitches. I thought that building the house using only Oblivion.esm as the base would later required patching up and thus creating more .esps. I try to avoids those .esp patches, they take slots from installing mods. Now I think I understand why I can't paint the road, the UL used it all up. Finally, I read the threads you pointed out and I'm going to dive deep into it. Many thanks for the rescue.

I do tend to read a lot, and I have the curse of remembering that I've read something. Occasionally that leads to lengthy searches through my downloaded mods or Oblivion links. This one was a piece of cake and the links just popped out of my Other Bookmarks folder, almost unbidden.

Good to see you're putting past advice to good use ... only downside is if you ever decide to stop using UL then you'll need a patch. The same advice in the TES Alliance thread applies ... find the least used texture in the quad list and replace it with the one you want.

If only my batting average was as good with every "service call".

Hi again Striker! It was a pleasure doing business with you, You seem like an experience adventurer, would you mind help me solving a problem? "Enhanced Economy". With does brain cells going full capacity, I think you retired too early from whatever you were doing, unless it was strenuous physical work. I believe these games not only keeps one entertained but maintain brain cells staying active, the reasoning is that you are constantly working on strategies, fixing game's glitches, modding, searching information on different game's topics, and so on (brain exercise).

As recommended, I immediately went and dived in the TESAlliance tutorials and found: TESAlliance\World Building\Oblivion: Creating Compatibility Patches: By Arthmoor

"While restoring the land texturing, don't panic if you're painting grass and you end up with what look like ugly mud. The CS has a bug when there are 9 textures is use in a cell. It displays the wrong one while you're working but it is applying the correct one to the file".

I hope this little piece of information may help other newbies like me understanding and finding solutions on CS.

As soon as you quoted Arthmoor I went "Duh, of course, I remember reading that".

When I worked troubleshooting was a big part of the job (with a generous portion of tedium mixed in ... don't miss it). On a day when there's plenty of trade on here I don't get much time in Tamriel ... on slower days Tamriel fits the bill. Bottom line on all of it is to help me keep that big gray lump atop my shoulders from turning to mush.

"You seem like an experienced adventurer ..." just cracks me up. Just last night I was turning some not-so-ill-gotten gains into Septims with Nilawen (first time my newest guy has made it to Bravil) and the bandits along the road there had been rather generous. Go to close the conversation and out comes that quote. Of course, my guy already has his next couple of days planned out ... if he'd been just wandering about looking for something to do she wouldn't have asked, happens all the time.

Hi striker! You should be ashamed for beating those poor bandits and taking away their hard gained earnings, as you know, that is the only way they know how to make a living. More seriously now, I'd say that your troubleshooting job has turned into a troubleshooting hobby which probably is more fun because you do it from your heart.

The more I dig into the CS, the more I get confused. The only thing left to finish "MySmallHouse" exterior is to lay a road to its entrance. With the CS, once I activate my mod and load the related .esm and .esp, I move to Tamriel, load the area into the Render Window, load the Landscape Editor, highlight RoadStoneSmall01, set a radius of 1, place the cursor where I want to paint the road, press "I" to bring the Quad, delete textures one at the time as I try to paint after each deletion without luck. I notice that most of the area is covered with a tall colorful grass that I believe belongs to the top sections of the Quad and am afraid deleting those due to the Black Bug. Arthmoor comments as to being able to paint even when you don't see the action hasn't work for me. I think I will try to activate the UL and do the changes on it instead of my mod. I was reading on how to make a patch for situations like this but I hate to populate my game with too many .esps. My game is full of mod covering patches, the majority are for the ULs.