NifSkope: NiTriStrips and NiTriShapes

SupermassiveBlackHole

Hi,

I'm having a slight problem with NIFSkope. Basically, I wanted an ebony armor display, so I opened Meshes\Clutter\armordumby.nif for the Armor stand, I then opened Meshes\Armor\Ebony\M\Cuirass.nif for the armor.

On the armordumby.nif I added an extra "Num Child" so I could import the Ebony Cuirass. I clicked on the actual cuirass in the cuirass.nif, (not the pauldrons or arm) and in the block list right-clicked the branch and pressed "copy", now I opened the armordumby again and tried inserting the branch into the extra num child I created but I get an error saying "Failed to map parent link NiNode|Scene root." What am I doing wrong? I'm not so good with nifskope.

Also, is it not possible to have NiTriStrips and Shapes in the same NIF file? Or do I have to convert one of them?

Cheers.

One solution could be (if you want to display the entire set of armor) :

Dont use the display stand at all, just remove the havoc from the items and arrange them so they look like they would be on a display stand.

This method would make shape/strip conflicts a non-issue.

Besides, the "head" of the display stand is WAY too big, it will clip thru any helmet you try to put on it.

Also, is it not possible to have NiTriStrips and Shapes in the same NIF file? Or do I have to convert one of them?

Never tried to use both in the same nif, would like to know the answer to this myself.

I'll just ask my question here, because it's nifSkope related.

I have an armor suit mesh all in one piece and I would like to separate into different parts. So I fireup the nifSkope and end up with a whole bunch of NiTriStrips (armor parts) and Ninodes(for example: Bip01 L Thigh). I know which (and how to) NiTris strips to remove, but I'm not sure about NiNodes have to remain in the mesh aferwards (for example: which are tied to boots, which to cuirass etc.)

So any help would be appreciated.

If the base nodes have different names it can cause this problem. For instance if one is "Scene Root" and the other is "Something Else", then you might have to name the one your copying from to "Scene Root" before you do the "copy branch".

That's exactly what I was gonna say.

I am LHammonds and I support this message. :thumbsup: