This needs to stop.

Keanumoreira

Alright, I'm pretty ticked off, and for something that lives among us yet usually goes unnoticed.

Racism.

When will this stop already, I mean seriously, why do we beat and bilittle our own species because of their minority or beliefs? I have a Youtube account, and one person I run into often (Who will not be named respectfully) is a chinese racist who hates all Amercians and everyone who associates with them. I meet other people who complain about the middle east or Mexico; it's just ridiculous. So, I'm calling out to Nexus and the staff as well to ask one fundemental question.

When will this end?

It seems many people have differences of opinion as to what racism actually is. I often hear this word used too often to describe things that might not be racist. The race card is being overplayed, especially in politics.

I would like to discuss certain types of what most people would call racism.

First of all, you got the worst type, people like the Nazis, who think they are superior, and have the right to eliminate/subjugate anyone who is not like them. This could also be in the form of an ethnicity, or a religion. This kind of racism is very dangerous and I think its nothing short of barbarism.

Now some ethnic groups of people, wish to basically keep to themselves, and don't really welcome outsiders, and people like this are often described as racist also, now I think this is kind of unfounded, as long as they are doing nobody else any harm, I don't see a problem here. I think people should be able to choose to stick to their own people if they choose to, without being labeled bigots and racists.

There is also what some people might call unconscious racism, for example, the willingness to trust or distrust someone based on their ethnic appearance, I think this is the most common form of racism. But once again, I am not certain this would be fair either, I think people naturally are more open to people that look like them and have the same culture, whether they realize it or not.

From the position of the government, I think the government should be impartial to all peoples, and not discriminate, but when it comes to individuals making choices for themselves, like it or not, that is what I call freedom of speech and association.

If their that way thats their issue, can't really change it. People just will be hating just to hate, ussually these people have some other social problem and can't get over it. I am not racist but I do sterotype people on occasion but mostly I do this by seeing their bodly language and hear how they talk. But down right hate like the Chinese fello in your post, never. As for Mexico, I think the issue there is more due to illegal imigration plus the fact most of them will not even bother trying to learn english even badly spoke broken english at that, and tell people of the country they entered illegally that we need to learn theirs; this was actually told to me by an illegal.

I am not sure it is appropriate or not to hold something against someone on here for something they said or posted elsewhere, as long as they don't bring that crap here. Youtube is the bathroom wall of the internet, you hear and see all kinds of garbage posted there.

If their that way thats their issue, can't really change it. People just will be hating just to hate, ussually these people have some other social problem and can't get over it. I am not racist but I do sterotype people on occasion but mostly I do this by seeing their bodly language and hear how they talk. But down right hate like the Chinese fello in your post, never. As for Mexico, I think the issue there is more due to illegal imigration plus the fact most of them will not even bother trying to learn english even badly spoke broken english at that, and tell people of the country they entered illegally that we need to learn theirs; this was actually told to me by an illegal.

I think immigration and the borders need to be closed off, period for a few years until we can work out another immigration system and fix the problems we have. I don't think we should be taking immigrants, period from certain countries in the world, not for racist reasons, but for national security reasons. And it isn't really fair to our own citizens in a struggling economy for them to just allow people to come here and work and take our jobs. America has a very lax immigration policy compared to most of the rest of the world.

Why is it the responsibility of this site exactly?

The sad truth is that racism will always exist so long as there is ignorance or political/religious beliefs which endorse racism.

The other sad truth is that people will always look for some measure of difference to blame or persecute as a means of drawing attention to how they are not like that person. Race is just one of the more obvious differences that might isolate one person from a group which comes with little chance of offending those who you're wanting to associate yourself with. Under all the cultural baggage, it's really just a normal social dynamic. Not to say that it's a good thing, or that extreme cases are acceptable in any application, since these denote extreme ignorance and often personal stupidity as well, but just that the root of it is part of normal social behavior and grouping.

Stereotyping/racism has always been one of humanity's many flaws. Since every culture has differences, and thus different views, it will always be present.

However, if you do see a blatantly rude, racist comment, do your part and report it. That's about all that can be done about it here.

Keanu: You are a very bright and erudite young man; and I truly hope that yours will be the generation that will help to bring an end to this vile and insidious disease known as prejudice. I have always felt that our biggest problem is an overwhelming need to label everything and everyone. This tends to separate us all into neat little groups rather than joining us into one cohesive unit called humanity. We seem to thrive on fear, and there is always someone willing to tell us who to fear and who to blame. It is much easier if we have isolated one another into these little (in my opinion) meaningless groups. I do not mean to suggest that anyone's nationality or race or religion is meaningless. I'm just trying to suggest that there is no need to divide ourselves up into these units that are somehow automatically going to start choosing up sides when the chips are down. We are all human beings under the skin and we need to be fighting the good fight together to keep our planet afloat. Oh, and by the way, I don't think that you are quite correct in your assumption that racism is going unnoticed. But let's see if we can put an end to it. Thanks for the thread. You're a pretty smart young man.

Racism and any sort of offendment and prejudicm will be there until people are completely the same. Until everything is exactly the same. I don't get offended by anyone trying to offend me for my nationality. I simply ignore the ignorant people.

Stereotyping/racism has always been one of humanity's many flaws. Since every culture has differences, and thus different views, it will always be present.

However, if you do see a blatantly rude, racist comment, do your part and report it. That's about all that can be done about it here.

This, basically. I am reminded of a certain news story when a young white girl went under a "racism" test. She had basically no experience with blacks but was calling them stupid, etc simply because of her living environment and seeing people of different color was a foreign thing to her. I believe racism is definitely declining, but yep...it'll always exist. I wish it would just end; how can we advance forward as a single entity - as a humanity - if we are always fighting with each other over such trivial matters? We are the same species.

One thing I don't like is how people throw the word "racist" around. I've been called that a lot, but I'm far from it; I'm very tolerant of different people because I live in an area with diverse people. I can say you are "black," "white," or "haole" and it fine as long as I don't throw a derogatory word in there. It is simply a means of identification and I in no way express dislike or hatred. (Haole means "foreigner" in Hawaiian, and is a commonplace word here in Hawaii instead of saying "white".)