This needs to stop.

Keanumoreira

It seems many people have differences of opinion as to what racism actually is. I often hear this word used too often to describe things that might not be racist. The race card is being overplayed, especially in politics.

I would like to discuss certain types of what most people would call racism.

First of all, you got the worst type, people like the Nazis, who think they are superior, and have the right to eliminate/subjugate anyone who is not like them. This could also be in the form of an ethnicity, or a religion. This kind of racism is very dangerous and I think its nothing short of barbarism.

Now some ethnic groups of people, wish to basically keep to themselves, and don't really welcome outsiders, and people like this are often described as racist also, now I think this is kind of unfounded, as long as they are doing nobody else any harm, I don't see a problem here. I think people should be able to choose to stick to their own people if they choose to, without being labeled bigots and racists.

There is also what some people might call unconscious racism, for example, the willingness to trust or distrust someone based on their ethnic appearance, I think this is the most common form of racism. But once again, I am not certain this would be fair either, I think people naturally are more open to people that look like them and have the same culture, whether they realize it or not.

From the position of the government, I think the government should be impartial to all peoples, and not discriminate, but when it comes to individuals making choices for themselves, like it or not, that is what I call freedom of speech and association.

It's just so sad that it's had to come to this. Racism, I hate very deeply, and I do not hang around people who are (Call that racist if you will, but bad influence is not within my philosophy.). It's just so stupid and a waste of time. I mean, you got the Ku Klux Klan hating blacks (Even today, lest not forget the four church girls.), you've got Hitler, and even the jews, my God, they've suffered the most. Blamed for the Black plague, the fall of nations, the reason for the holocaust, and many more unspeakable acts. And of course, one of the most heated debates of them all: America.

America is selfish, America is murderous, America is the cause of our problems, and this and that and all over. Where the hell is this steming from? Because we were the fastest developing nation who bothered to help the world despite our own intrests (Not to say lesser of any other nations, we are all equal.)? Even the recent oil spill has raised racist slurs because everyone blams it on Obama because he's black. Everyone seems to forget the fact that it wasn't his responsibility to look over BP. I can't express how much this enfuriates me when other nations are doing things as bad and worse.

I swear, the day this ends is the day hell freezes over, and that disappoints me greatly as to how low this generation has sunk.

Keanu: You are a very bright and erudite young man; and I truly hope that yours will be the generation that will help to bring an end to this vile and insidious disease known as prejudice. I have always felt that our biggest problem is an overwhelming need to label everything and everyone. This tends to separate us all into neat little groups rather than joining us into one cohesive unit called humanity. We seem to thrive on fear, and there is always someone willing to tell us who to fear and who to blame. It is much easier if we have isolated one another into these little (in my opinion) meaningless groups. I do not mean to suggest that anyone's nationality or race or religion is meaningless. I'm just trying to suggest that there is no need to divide ourselves up into these units that are somehow automatically going to start choosing up sides when the chips are down. We are all human beings under the skin and we need to be fighting the good fight together to keep our planet afloat. Oh, and by the way, I don't think that you are quite correct in your assumption that racism is going unnoticed. But let's see if we can put an end to it. Thanks for the thread. You're a pretty smart young man.

Thank you Granny. :happy:

I didn't mean to imply that racism isn't noticed; wrong impression on my part. What I meant is that some of us don't really think about it from day to day because we don't have to deal with it. I being white don't have to because discrimination against whites and blacks in America is far gone, at least on a large scale. But I've learned recently that some people still do hate whites and blacks, and Americans deeply as well, and it does hurt. A lot.

For me it is guilty until proven innocent. I am a smart man, but not a subtle worded one.

As far as I am concerned all humans are the same: weak and worthless. To be anything more they have to prove it or disprove it.

You can prove your worth by actualy making your miserable life worth something in the greater world. For example, by rising above the tribalism that has so held us back, and actualy looking forwards, not back. For me people who are worthy of the title human or even "more than human" are those immortal heroes who threw aside existing barriers and created a new age. Such as Martin Luther KIng, a personal hero of mine.

You can also prove yourself less than human. To do that you simply have to prove you are a worthless criminal. Someone who either tries to waste the lives of others, or who wastes their own life through a lack of willpower. One prime example of how to make yourself less than a man is to lash out at people on racial grounds. This makes you a worthless little tribal savage, you have shown through your immortal actions that this is what you are inside, so you should be treated as that.

Do NOT push aside hatred. You have your full emotional spectrum for a reason, and hatred is an incredibly strong motivator if used well. But it should be USED, rather than letting it USE YOU.

Used well, hatred can be a weapon to smash down those inhuman primitives who would throw us back to the stone age, used wrongly and it makes you one of those primitives.

Finaly, I've had my own personal conflicts with racists. An African man used to live in my street. He has been sent back there now. But while he lived here, he used to level the utmost hatred against all white people he saw. And for some reason, my girlfriend in particular.

This man was less than human. The reason being that he let his hatred use him, rather than the other way round, and because he was weak enough to devote his entire life to feebly trying to harm a particular ethnic block.

Now, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here for a second - it won't be too bad, but hear me out.

Racism, and the stereotypes that accompany it, can be a good thing sometimes. Using my own ethnicity (caucasian) I will point out the racial stereotype of a middle-aged poor white man. We are seen as fat, balding, drunk, ignorant, wife beaters. You know the guys I'm talking about - you see them all the time on COPS when the police are responding to a domestic disturbance call in a trailer park. Also worth noting, the women are scrawny,washed out, alcoholics who are begging the cops not to drag the guy off because she loves him. :rolleyes:

How is this a good thing? The fact I am nothing like that. I see this, and I feel better about myself because ... at least I'm not THAT guy. :laugh:

If you listen to these sterotypes, you'll see that they tend to be the worst-case scenario for anyone - race, religion, gender, and so forth. If they were true:

All blondes would be stupid.

All African-Americans would be criminals.

All Latinos/Mexian-Americans would be lazy.

All Asian-Americans would live to crunch numbers.

All Anglo-Americans would be drunken wife-beaters.

All people who wear glasses would be smart, but lack social skills.

And the list goes on.

I credit the stereotypical image of society to the media. Shows like COPS, Most Dangerous, Spinger, Ricki Lake, anything on TruTV, and garbage like this reinforce the racial stereotypes and "prove" they are "true". For the non-racial stereotypes, hollywood takes care of that and "proves" them to be "true"..

But, we can use them as positive things by refusing to live down to that image.

I remember seeing an older brother slap his younger brother (both of whom were african-american) for embracing "gansta life". The elder brother asked his younger brother, "Why are you living down to the stereotype? Mom and dad raised us better than that and you know it!" The younger brother was embarassed by that. Not because he got slapped, but because he knew big brother was right.

I fully feel that if we can all rise above ourselves and we are the best we can be as often as we can, that'll be the day that racism will become obsolete. :thumbsup:

@Keanumoreira Actually the spill in my house hold has been blammed on the Brit incharge of BP, all the Corperations involved, and the government Inspectors that failed to do their jobs. KKK will always be around, but the good thing to know they wear flamable sheets around open flames so you get an idea of how bright they are. Hitler was an ass looking to blame someone and he hated jews because of his service in WW1 with a couple he found to be lazy and lacked the will to actually fight, oddly though he actually got nominated for an Iron cross by a Jewish commander. (The Irony) As for the America hating well that is because people hate what we got from working for and their still working but not obtaining. We as a fought to be a nation, we fought to keep our nation together, and we fought to help keep others from lossing their Soverign right. That last one is what makes some people angry as well, due to our nation interfering in other nations politics. What most people don't realise is either we where asked to provided help in that nation already via their own goverenment, or the people of that nation calling for help/aid, or our own national security was at risk due to someone in power or with in the boundry of that nation. But to those that are hating the USA, I have to ask are they hating the people or the government because those are two different things. If their hatting the people then they have a very narrow view, if their hating the goverenment that is understandable at times as alot of American Citizens are not liking what our own goverenment is doing.

Hate towards other nationalities tend to stem from multiple sources, be it culture, religion, warfare, etc.

Where the hell is this steming from?

Our country has done some really rough things in the past. Like, for example, this.

Non TL;DR version involving Laos.

Lingering effects.

Mind you, it's not like America's the only one to damage another country. Heck, it happens all the time, amongst countless groups.

We humans continually squabble about things, hurting and killing each other in the process. Perhaps it all comes down to the beauty of free will and having your own opinion. It's a wonderful thing, but not everybody respects such differences. When this happens, conflict starts. Conflict leads to dislike, dislike leads to hate. And if you can't blame it on a single person... well, you might as well blame the country and all of inhabitants.

Hate towards other nationalities tend to stem from multiple sources, be it culture, religion, warfare, etc.

Where the hell is this steming from?

Our country has done some really rough things in the past. Like, for example, this.

Non TL;DR version involving Laos.

Lingering effects.

That's a really counter productive argument that actualy enforces stereotypes Eiries.

I really resent the stupid concept of ethnic guilt. Why the hell should people be made to feel guilty for the actions of their ancestors? they should be forced to NEVER FORGET them, but that's it. If you try and shove guilt down the throat of an entire ethnicity for what their grandfathers did, then you're really very much a racist yourself.

Ethnic guilt is one of the worse forms of racism, I will NOT tolerate it.

I hate racism too. I mean, what's the point of it all? Just to hate? It doesn't do any good to the world, or anyone who is racist. In fact, it even causes worse things to happen to the racist, most likely to occur by the racie*. Although I don't like most of Obama's choices that he's made in office, I don't act racist towards him. I don't like racism, so why would I become one? I still don't like him though :down:.

Seriously, the day this is over, the year will be 4579 and the world will probably be over. And if it isn't and humans still live, there will still be serious problems between the different skinned people. God made us all equal, and even if you don't believe in God but science (like me lol), then you're an evolved ape. And apes come in different colors. But then again, who made apes?

racie - the person affected by the racist