Pets are so lovely

Pushkatu

Well, I moved the guppies and tried some cheap ghost shrimp to see what'd happen. What do you feed them, Push? I've read they don't eat algae, and there doesn't seem to be enough to scavenge. I tried some shredded zucchini and it seems to have scared them. As in they keep ramming themselves against the side of the tank to get out. Not a very bright bunch, are they?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I moved the guppies and tried some cheap ghost shrimp to see what'd happen. What do you feed them, Push? I've read they don't eat algae, and there doesn't seem to be enough to scavenge. I tried some shredded zucchini and it seems to have scared them. As in they keep ramming themselves against the side of the tank to get out. Not a very bright bunch, are they?

Here's an interesting article you should read. http://www.planetinverts.com/

I feed them discus granules from Sera. The man I bought them from, gives'em this food so why change their habbits? They seem to like it.

@Aurielius: Such a lovely picture. Had a great day huh?

My betta has been following my sole Red Platy around with his fins up. I think he likes her.

I'm not so sure about that. Betta doesn't like other fish, or even other betttas, unless they want to mate. If he's following the other fish with his fins up, it most likely means that he doesn't like to have the other fish around and he's trying to intimidate her. Watch him closer and for longer periods of time as he might charge at some point and you don't realy want that. My red crowtail can't even stand me around, lol. he flares big time when I'm near his tank, warning me to keep the distance. He even flares when I feed him, imagine that. He can't stand other fish, not even the peacefull corydoras albino. I moved one of my Pomaceea snails with him and he was very curious at first, but then completly ignored the snail. My other betta used to kill small snails, so these fish are quite problematic, so are better to be kept alone to avoid problems. :tongue:

Edited by Pushkatu

My male goruami was chasing my little bloodfin tetra around...I think he might make him a snack one day :P

Well I think I told you guys the ballast on the aquarium hood fried out (sheesh, $41 for the stinker and it lasts a year.....). We had been using a 17W heavy duty office light for a few months (made the water this ugly yellow colour...just the spectrum of the light methinks). We were looking on Ebay and I found a 24" T5 light for $35...quite a steal figuring Petco asks almost $90 for it. I also looked at getting just a replacement ballast...those run about $25. So, I was about to order the 24" light when a brainstorm hit. What if we hacked up the office light and see if the ballast would work with our aquarium light? :D So we took it apart and tried our aquarium light in it...and it worked! So a Dremel here and there, wire cutters, and a few wire caps and we hooked the office light ballast into our aquarium hood housing :D Works great! Saved us $35, I was happy :) I think the fish are a lot happier too.

We were considering to get some of those red cherry shrimp I think they are called. They eat algae off live plants, which we have quite a few of. I was all happy, they have them at Petco and they are reasonably priced. Only problem is...the stupid loach will EAT THEM! :( Bah...

• 2 weeks later...

Hahah, good story Illiad86. Shrimps are better to be kept alone, since they are so small. If you keep fish and shrimps in the same tank, the last ones will always be stressed. Anyway, I'm glad you fixed your light without having to spend money. I lost a 13 W neon a while back becouse I accidently dropped it into the tank. I was amazed to find out that the neon was still working while it's support was fried.

...and yesterday one of my big guppy females gave birth to the 9 generation. They are so small. I'm curious to see how many will survive, becouse I removed almost all the Pistia(I don't know how you call it) plants from the surface. They used to hide between their roots. I'm sure that more than enough will survive. I have to donate guppies every month in order to reduce their numbers.

The very last red platy after about 12 generations is about to die today, at the tender age of 3.

And on the other side, my brother bought a goldfish from the store and put it into the guppy tank just so he could see my expression when I spotted it. He tried to find the ugliest fish he could, but he doesn't know that there are no ugly goldfish.

Edit: Got a new baby black moor today. They're like the kittens of fish. They're so adorable when they're young. Then five years later they're 7-inch long leviathans that scare guests.