joeshmoe2

First off I know yes it's a laptop and i don't need people telling me you can't game on laptops blah blah blah. My specs are i7 4710HQ, gtx 860M, 16GB ram 1600MHz. Windows 8. I tried out skyrim with a few mods. I can do ultra with no mods on 1920 X 1080 and really smooth(no graphical lag). but i tried putting on just a few mods some of which i know tax the graphic and others i am not sure if they do or not and i had to drop to medium settings just to run it without graphical lag/stuttering, and that seems counter-productive when trying to make the visuals better. Is it? Is it better to have hd textures but graphics settings on medium or default skyrim textures with graphics settings on ultra? The mods I have: Skyrim HD Textures. Better Females. xenius character enhancement. CBBE never nude. jaysus swords. deadly dragons. and a few content mods that i know don't tax the graphics. should i lower the resolution and then my lappy might play it on high or ultra? or would that even be worth it? meaning still give graphical improvement but no stuttering during gameplay? Thanks all.

Oh boy.... Thats personal preference really. Think of it this way. Mods that add nicer "HD" textures are gonna make the painted detail on the in game models finer and have more detail. The graphics settings both in game and in your laptops video drivers are going to "filter" whats there better. Less jagged edges, better shadows etc. Being on a laptop your going to be very confined to how many texture mods you can add. I would play on Ultra with no mods first. If theres something in game that really looks bothersome maybe find a texture for it. But use the smallest one available (many mods offer a "light" version or 1k instead of 4k for example). A mod like Skyrim HD textures is huge and replaces just about everything but its gonna cripple your machine. Try some lower settings in the game menu and see if theres really any difference that ya see (Advanced Settings or Custom they may call it). Every time you can bear turning a little something down thats gonna free up some resources.

Finally you can use an in game monitor to see how much CPU, memory etc you are actually using to see how close you are to maxing out. This video shows how to set that up:

First off I know yes it's a laptop and i don't need people telling me you can't game on laptops

screw that im doin just fine with a laptop, i cant use any ENBs though because my specs are bad but it works. anyways Valkyrie is correct. use small texture mods instead of the big ones.

check out Enhanced Lights and FX as well as Better Dynamic Snow, these both are great mods that dont take a great toll on your computer.

He could also try enboost as well.

hey I feel you man I run with a laptop too but even with enboost and everthing I still run at medium graphics but to be honest I can't tell... the mods I have make everything so "colorful" that I don't eve noticed high vs medium, only reason I notice low is because of the distance render. that's it...

Look up enboost and give that go. It should bring you back up to full.

Also try Game booster, throw your steam file in there so when skyrim turns on it shuts down all your laptops unessential processes gave me about 40% performance boost and cleared about 23% of my memory usage while running skyrim. May have to run a few things as admin though to get it to work. I'm running the same overall settings you are and I have about half your specs. This is supposed to be a work pc. It's got a super powerful core for handling professional programs but a crap card and I think 8g ram. So it's basic for gaming, but advanced for work. the way I speced things though I can get the same function out of my sky rim with a "Family" value graphics card. Yeah I just looked at your specs again I have an i5... So If I can get what you get with all the steroids without lag or studder you should be able to max things out with enboost and game booster.