• giants
    • other
  2. 2. why?

• more majestic, powerful, etc.
    • more central to game, fictional realms
    • more central to mythology
    • has more connection with my life
    • other

Well I see I truly am in the minority here. I voted other on both options. My favorite mythological creature is the Phoenix, and i'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Somewhat disappointing. >.<

To me the Phoenix represents beauty and elegance, burning with passion and the renewal of life.

Am I the only one who feels this way??

I don't like the poll too much, I looked at the options and forgot a lot of things.

I think the Phoenix is a good choice, that's another thing I like.

I still prefer shape shifters though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like cyborgs!

The idea of blending organism and machine is an old one, probably as old as science fiction itself, and thus probably about a century old in the west. But it's a good one. I cant imagine that we WONT become somehow augmented in the future, probably within 30 years we'll see mechanical parts becoming cheap enough that the groundowkr is laid for cybernetics as they are seen in SciFi.

Now, Im not talking the Space Marines here-for those who dont know they are 8 foot tall armoured giants from the WarHammer universe, vastly powerful man-machine hybreds who swore eternal service to humanity as a whole-I mean smaller stuff, like implants to repair dodgie vision or dificulty reading, maybe implanted "wear forever" hearing aids replacing external aids that need removal. That kind of stuff.

Late last year scientists created the world's first cybernetic bones. Made of titanium foam, they are literaly a 100% analogue for human bone, same weight, same density, same impact and heat resistances, same tensile strength-even the same texture to touch and same colour-and they're already being offered for use.

Likewise cybernetic replacmenet arms controlled directly by the user's nerves have existed for nearly a decade.

The human body works by sending electrical impulses along nerve channels that act like biological wiring. It's childs play to hook a maachine up to that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Marines_(Warhammer_40,000)

On the other hand we may end up with those. And frankly knowing THOSE guys have my species' back in general would make me feel pretty safe. Im damn sure militaries will invest in cybernetics-they're always up for new ways to help their soldiers survive and cope with the dificulties of field work, I we'll ever produce anything as amazing as Space marines, but hey, that's what video games are for eh?

Edited by Vindekarr

I like cyborgs!

The idea of blending organism and machine is an old one, probably as old as science fiction itself, and thus probably about a century old in the west. But it's a good one. I cant imagine that we WONT become somehow augmented in the future, probably within 30 years we'll see mechanical parts becoming cheap enough that the groundowkr is laid for cybernetics as they are seen in SciFi.

Now, Im not talking the Space Marines here-for those who dont know they are 8 foot tall armoured giants from the WarHammer universe, vastly powerful man-machine hybreds who swore eternal service to humanity as a whole-I mean smaller stuff, like implants to repair dodgie vision or dificulty reading, maybe implanted "wear forever" hearing aids replacing external aids that need removal. That kind of stuff.

Late last year scientists created the world's first cybernetic bones. Made of titanium foam, they are literaly a 100% analogue for human bone, same weight, same density, same impact and heat resistances, same tensile strength-even the same texture to touch and same colour-and they're already being offered for use.

Likewise cybernetic replacmenet arms controlled directly by the user's nerves have existed for nearly a decade.

The human body works by sending electrical impulses along nerve channels that act like biological wiring. It's childs play to hook a maachine up to that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Marines_(Warhammer_40,000)

On the other hand we may end up with those. And frankly knowing THOSE guys have my species' back in general would make me feel pretty safe. Im damn sure militaries will invest in cybernetics-they're always up for new ways to help their soldiers survive and cope with the dificulties of field work, I we'll ever produce anything as amazing as Space marines, but hey, that's what video games are for eh?

Not sure how you could call am cyborg a mythological creatures o.o

The Dahaka

In Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, the Dahaka serves as the physical manifestation of the inevitability of fate and is also a primary antagonist in the second ending. The Dahaka appears to be a massive, black humanoid creature with horns. The Dahaka has a weakness to water, and can only be killed by the legendary Water Sword, found by the Prince if the player obtains all life upgrades, unlocking the second ending. The beast is the guardian of the timeline, and seems to appear only when the timeline is disrupted. The Prince character's actions in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time result in the manifestation of the Dahaka, its duty to eliminate the Prince. Ultimately the Dahaka's focus is averted to eliminating Kaileena, which it succeeds at in the normal ending, but is killed by the Prince before it can kill her in the second ending. The name alludes to Azhi Dahaka from Zoroastrianism.

This credit goes to wikipedia for I did not write this but used it for a better explanation than I could currently give!

Frankly I didnt read anywhere that my favorite mythological creature somehow had to fit your idea of what my favorite mythological creature should be.. /irritated.

But that's beside the point because my favorite mythological creature is so awesome he has his own real-world cults that follow him, he is...

...CT' HULHU!!!!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

Edited by Vindekarr