more "visible when distat" objects/improved LOD

yaro127

hello

here is my little idea:

there are a few buildings that can't be seen from far away,for example: suburbanranch.nif and suburbanranchdestroy.nif because they don't have "visible when distant" landscape models , bigtown is full of them so entire town just pop in when you are getting close to it :confused: The idea is to make a low polygon models of those hauses (or use the existing ones with some performance impact) and use them as "visible when distant" ( _lod.nif) meshes,and everything will be visible from distance,similar mod has been made for oblivion. :rolleyes: I'm trying to make this mod on my own but I can't get _lod.nif meshes to work.

hello

here is my little idea:

there are a few buildings that can't be seen from far away,for example: suburbanranch.nif and suburbanranchdestroy.nif because they don't have "visible when distant" landscape models , bigtown is full of them so entire town just pop in when you are getting close to it :confused: The idea is to make a low polygon models of those hauses (or use the existing ones with some performance impact) and use them as "visible when distant" ( _lod.nif) meshes,and everything will be visible from distance,similar mod has been made for oblivion. :rolleyes: I'm trying to make this mod on my own but I can't get _lod.nif meshes to work.

Doesn't work, because lod.nifs have a slightly different data structure. However, port the model into blender, use decimate or similar, then open a fallout lod nif and paste trishapedata over. This should do it. Would be a nice thing to have I agree with you (but I am not interested doing it, sorry :whistling:). If you serious about your intention doing it, write me a PM and I will explain it to you more detailed.

i mean your specific instruction. if you only paste over a nitristripdata block the textures are probably going to be pointing to lod texture. going by what i remember in oblivion, they are often like billboard texture, and the LOD mesh is flat planar UVed to it. If you just do a decimation on a mesh and replace the mesh data, the UVs and the already assigned texture are probably not going to correct. just saying you'll probably have to do something about that.

• 5 years later...

bump after 6 years lol,f3 is such a great classic game, it would be a good idea to finally fix this issue,anyone?

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3745565-increasing-the-view-distance-or-lod-for-fallout/?view=findpost&p=34008225

Though based on New Vegas GECK, the themes apply to all Bethesda games.

Edited by Purr4me

ok, I've made some low poly meshes of buildings (suburbanranch_lod.nif etc.) in blender,they show up in nifskope and have proper lod data structure, textures too but when i put the models in Data\meshes\architecture\suburban folder and run fo3lodgen.exe meshes wont show up in game,i still cant see suburbanranch from far WHYYYYYYY ???

ok, I've made some low poly meshes of buildings (suburbanranch_lod.nif etc.) in blender,they show up in nifskope and have proper lod data structure, textures too but when i put the models in Data\meshes\architecture\suburban folder and run fo3lodgen.exe meshes wont show up in game,i still cant see suburbanranch from far WHYYYYYYY ???

Why are you posting here on this old thread? this is the correct place you need to ask what your doing own thread please.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/288-fallout-3-mod-troubleshooting/

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Yaro is continuing his/her own thread, I can see some persistence here. :smile:

But Kitty is right, you'll have more chances to find a solution if you start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum. *Edit* (Found the new thread)

I have no experience with LOD nifs but I'm willing to have a look, who knows, I might spot something.

If you're interested, drop me a pm.

Edited by Guest