Blades or Blunts?

Deleted2197662User

Yeah, too bad Deadly Reflex screws my thief character up. When I go upstairs and kill the shop owner, take his key and steal all the stuff of value my game crashes when I try to leave.

If you're using Deadly Reflex 6 disable DRSplatter.esp. It's known to cause a crash on save after critical hits that result with blood on screen. Skycaptain is aware of this and is working on fixes. Your game is likely crashing when you exit the Inn due to it trying to auto-save when you transition from interior to exterior. Remember DR 6 is still in its' BETA form. If you're not interested in testing and reporting bugs then I strongly encourage you to use Deadly Reflex 5. With the Hotfix file it's 99% stable. It's basically as stable as any mod can get.

You should just completely disable auto-saves to be honest. *Notes below in spoiler on how-to* They are known to become corrupt so it's best to just not use them at all. It's best to create your own saves in a new slot any time you want to save. If you do want a stable and reliable auto-save feature I recommend Streamline. It has other functions as well, such as purging cell buffers, that can be enabled or disabled to your liking. I recommend using Stream Purge and Stream Saves.

*Note*

To disable auto-save go to your Oblivion.ini file, located the Documents\My Games\Oblivion directory, and Ctrl+F to search for the following lines. Then change the values from 1 (ON) to 0 (OFF) as shown below

bSaveOnTravel=0
bSaveOnWait=0
bSaveOnRest=0

Good luck!

Blades are so much sexier.

I wholeheartedly agree. Sharp blades bring more blood hehehe...

Nothing but the best 2-handed blades for me. I much prefer the sound of a slice to the sound of a thud. Maces are for messy killers with 0 gracefulness and no appreciation of the art form. I want my violence with style.

A wise man can see the benefits of mastering both.

Because a blade may be faster and more accurate, but to say a blunt weapon sucks is simply foolhardy.

After all, by the 13th century armour was so effective that virtualy no bladed weapon could reliably pierce it-whereas a mace of the same weight could smash a man's skull helmet or no.

I favour blunt because they are the thinking man's tool of brutal slaughter. With a blunt weapon you can either strike you enemy dead with a single killing stroke, or slowly grind them down, since they are far superior for targeting internal organs. Against an unarmoured target, a blade is a far superior weapon, and much more elegant, but what sort of idiot goes into battle unarmoured? To deal with armour, one needs a mace.

That is only half correct.

The main reason a blunt weapon was superior to a bladed weapon in dealing with armored foes, was because the process of making a bladed weapon was very poor. In order t make a sword, the steel was poured into a mold. So naturally, back during the 13th century, a sword was incapable of slicing through the armor.

On the other hand, if you were to look at Eastern weaponry created at the same period, those swords were capable of tearing through a Samurai's armor which was harder and more effective than western armor. The main reason was due to the process it was made, since rther than a simple mold, it was folded repeatedly to improve the structure and strength of the blade.

If the western weapons had been forged the same way as Eastern weapons, most assuredly it would have been much more useful.

Rockshatter is weightless and does lightning damage. What's not to like?

Umbra is weightless and soul traps automatically. It's also the best base longsword in the game, as far as I know, anyway. What's not to like?

Dawnfang is self-recharging. What's not to like?

Maces you enchant yourself you can name after various implements used for killing baby harp seals. That's an advantage that should not be overlooked.

If you've slacked on your alchemy Voldendrung (sp?) casts paralysis.

I prefer blades, but you should train blunt if for no other reason than because Rockshatter is weightless and does shock damage. Why wouldn't you want to have that available to you?