Dremora Voices

VesemirTheWitcher

Hi,

Anyone know how to make dremora voices?

i think bethesda's voice actor himself made quite a lot of effort to sound like that, but they also added a couple of effects to it...

If anyone knows how i might achieve that kind of sound,or anything similar,please reply.

thanks! :thumbsup:

From experimentation, I believe some combination of reverb, wahwah, and pitch shifting can get somewhere close.

Though I never liked how tinny and hollow Oblivion Dremora sounded. The few sounds they made in Morrowind were more deep and resonant.

Possibly, a Chorus plugin, a vocoder (and/or) a formant filter, some minor distortion and a little pitch shift. Chorus for sure though thats how you get the voice sounding like there are more than one voice talking in unison, a chorus, as it were.

I do a bit of IDM production and i spend allot of time with my mate that has a degree in sound engineering. Try out what i said and give a shout back.

I believe there is a free 'indeffinite trial' for a DAW (digital audio workstation) named REAPER. and google 'free <insert name of filter/pluggin here> VST' to find the pluggins you are looking for. i think there are a few VST's native to REAPER u might find what u need in Reaper already, i wouldn't know though i use Cubase. vst's are the pluggins you, well, plug in, to daws... soft synths, sends, inserts, that kinda thing.

good luck!

I think allot of it though is down to a really gargly voice actor. allot of the timbre probably comes from putting on a really harsh voice to begin with in the recording phase. you could emulate the harshness with distortion, give it a try, see which one works best.

Muffin, i do believe you could be wrong with reverb, you loose allot of the sharpness with reverb and there isn't any release on the voice samples to account for use of reverb, you could always use reverb near the begining of the signal chain, bring down the release or bounce and edit the sample to cut off the tail then add distortion, I suppose you could use gated reverb instead which would sort of sound similar, but i honestly feel chorus would do the job much better.

And wahwah, i really wouldn't have thought of that, wah wah is essentially a comb/notch filter sweeping the frequency spectrum, i can't really theorise how that would give dissonance to the voice, by all means try though. Interesting idea.

OR, here's a mad one, record the voice, (add slight distortion?), pitch shift REALLY low, resample, pitch shift back up and time stretch back to the original length, then add Chorus, Vocoder, resample, a tiny bit more distortion... e.t.c.

The first bit is what i'm emphasizing though.

try using Audacity to record your voice, then dupilcate the voice track, then pich shift it up or down just a little and play both back at the same time. its called flanging i think. they used it on stargate S.G. 1 and atlantis for the goa'uld and wraith.