Changing Landscape Terrain

McclaudEagle

Hi everyone.

Well, I seem to be learning some good stuff about the GECK. Today, I finally worked out how to level out terrain or make it higher/lower.

Anyway, I also saw a terrain option, so I click on grass, but no new terrain gets added, instead it continues to level out the landscape.

Anyone know what I should be doing?

Thanks.

you can only have a max of 6(?) textures per quad. you probably have hit the max for that quad and it won't let you paint any more. iirc you press i in the landscape editing window to delete textures from the quad.

What he said.

I think the total number of textures allowable per quad is 8 (that binary 2,4,8,16,32,64... thing) but one of them is locked, giving you 7 to alter. Pressing the letter i on your keyboard while a section of terrain is selected will show 4 quads within that section and list which textures are painted in each quad. The textures are stacked in a heirarchy according to percentage of area covered in the quad. If all available texture selections are full, then you can no longer paint without deleting an existing texture. It is much less drastic to delete a texture that covers only 2% of the surface area of the quad than it is to delete a texture that covers 74%, so when retexturing I delete that smallest coverage first to make blending with existing terrain simpler.

Now that you have learned how to raise and lower terrain, your next discovery is likely to be areas in your mod that look fine in the GECK, but are covered by a blurry, mottled fog when you check your mod in game. That will be the LOD terrain that you are not supposed to see. It is alterable, but it is generally not worth the trouble and fraught with great potential for mod compatibility problems. My advice if you see LOD in your terrain mod is to raise the terrain back up to the point that LOD no longer appears in game. Adjust your plans for the contour of the land if necessary. It will save much toil and trouble.

• 2 years later...