The chinese government is stupid

Lehcar

If humanity wants to expand much more past the 10 billion mark, we are gonna have to figure out a way to colonize space. We would be very strapped for resources just to feed 10 Billion people, and the prices of food, many in the 3rd world, simply would not be able to afford it, even if they worked. The way I see it, is the more people, the more problems, more wars, less food, less resources. We gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere, or the world will be a living hell for everybody. The developed countries would eventually be forced with not much of a choice but to cut the 3rd world off completely, when there simply isn't enough to go around, the people at the very bottom will be the ones that suffer the most. Is it fair? No, but life isn't fair, and neither is survival.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we have enough resources? Read my sig. It is more a matter of a more fair share of resources. Never the less I think that China is doing good with their birth policy. One billion people. Think of that. Nearly a fifth of the world population is doing something about a problem. We can not even agree who goes first to the bathroom on the Kyoto and COP-15 meetings, and we represent less. They may not do it voluntary, neither would I, but as far as I know Chinees culture they do it full hearted and for the cause of the people to come after them, and they do it with out any ranting.

Don't worry Balagor we will seek new worlds as it is the only thing that we can do. Interestingly China is planning for a moon mission as there is no surprise that in another 100~200 years we will live in space stations and other planets. Then like any great movie/game, an alien civilization will come and try to conquer Earth.

Do we have enough resources? ...

Guess you've eventually meant "do WE, the consuming nations, possess enough resources?"

I agree to all those who understand the Chinese birth control as a positive mechanism, in the first place to avoid starvations like those we know from Africa and the incredible social differences we find in India and Pakistan. Though the political reason behind is the old Maoist idea of a better to be controlled working capacity of the Chinese women as a whole with a short and one-time temporary disability caused by having children. It is thus just partly a woman-friendly directive in a traditionally patriarchal aligned Han society where women have almost nothing to say if they aren't member of the politbureau or somethin'.

Do we have enough resources? ...

Guess you've eventually meant "do WE, the consuming nations, possess enough resources?"

Its not currently a matter of resources or the lack there of. Of all food produced in the world approx half goes to wastage and though in any food production ,management system your always going to have a certain amount of unavoidable wastage its estimated that 2/3 to 3/4 of the food that is wasted is edible.Why is so much food wasted ,well a lot of reasons but the three biggest is poor storage ,poor transportation and the habits of the consuming public.Storage and Transportation would be the easy ones to fix compared to trying to get people to give up their wasteful habits or even accept dietary changes that would make more food available to more people.One dietary change as an example would be the eating of beef .To raise one cow for market takes the same amount of resources that would be needed to feed a few hundred people for a year .yet that cow if given to those few hundred people wouldn't even provide enough for one meal.

Overpopulation maybe ,poor resource management absolutely.

Don't worry Balagor we will seek new worlds as it is the only thing that we can do.

Or stick with the old one. It is still OK, we just need to take better care of it.

Its not currently a matter of resources or the lack there of. Of all food produced in the world approx half goes to wastage and though in any food production ,management system your always going to have a certain amount of unavoidable wastage its estimated that 2/3 to 3/4 of the food that is wasted is edible.Why is so much food wasted ,well a lot of reasons but the three biggest is poor storage ,poor transportation and the habits of the consuming public.Storage and Transportation would be the easy ones to fix compared to trying to get people to give up their wasteful habits or even accept dietary changes that would make more food available to more people.One dietary change as an example would be the eating of beef .To raise one cow for market takes the same amount of resources that would be needed to feed a few hundred people for a year .yet that cow if given to those few hundred people wouldn't even provide enough for one meal.

Overpopulation maybe ,poor resource management absolutely.

Overpopulation depends on where you live. For China it is a problem, regarding the resources. If you live in a huge country with a low population per square acre and the land is very rich in resources, you will have absolutely no problems. :biggrin:

Then there is the "fair share" I talk about. Most expensive things are "used in the west and produced in the east" That too gives countries like China a problem on top on all the other problems, They produce most of the electronics, clothes, hardware, tools, etc that have become too expencive to produce in the west. So China get welfare, yes, but also a massive growth of the cities, and ditto diminishing of the agriculture. Thus they produce less food, and on top of that they get a massive pollution. :verymad:

So a few get welfare in China. Those who import the goods from China get rich, and we who by the stuff, save some money so we can by some more. :woot:

The same story goes for Africa. We "invest" in 3-world programmes, but what realy happens is that we buy rare metals for electronics, mined by children. We can not do anything, we say, because many of those countries are dictatorships. So again th western world gets the profit and the 3 world gets weapon for the dole to keep their wars going. :ninja:

That´s what I mean about "fair share" of the resources of the world.

As for your food waste example I fully agree that we waste a lot, due to the circumstances you mentioned. I would say we even waste food deliberately, because we live in abundance in the western world. Your cow example is true, but I like my beef very much, ;D and I do think that we have resources enough, if we could find a way to share. :thumbsup:

seriously, they're idiots. They should have seen the gender imbalance problem coming from a mile and a half away with their mundane (and obviously ineffective) one child policy. its doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize ahead of time that if you only have boys and kill all the baby girls off, you're obviously going to end up having a serious shortage of women a generation down the road.

but why is "carrying on the family name" so darned important to people there, i don't understand that.

but now they're actually PAYING families just to have baby girls... that's awfully sad if you ask me.

They are not idiots. There are Taoism and Confucianism elements in China we Westerners will never understand. Their social dynamic is their own.

@Balagor

I wouldn't blow your own horn about your sig. Polynesians, Amerinds and Aborigines were notorious violators of the natural realm. The anthropological and archaeological records of where they lived bear the evidence. They over-farmed, over-populated and over-hunted. They were no more in tune with the planet than modern man is today. I normally wouldn't bother with this but you pointed out your sig in this thread. ;)

@Balagor

I wouldn't blow your own horn about your sig. Polynesians, Amerinds and Aborigines were notorious violators of the natural realm. The anthropological and archaeological records of where they lived bear the evidence. They over-farmed, over-populated and over-hunted. They were no more in tune with the planet than modern man is today. I normally wouldn't bother with this but you pointed out your sig in this thread. ;)

I am quite aware that man has always been overhunting. That´s what created Easter Islands. I know. But my sig does not speak of that kind of hunting. It speaks of the European overhunting of their own species. Europeans hunted down and exterminated Amerinds and Aborigines, and partly Polynesians. Just for greed.

...But my sig does not speak of that kind of hunting. It speaks of the European overhunting of their own species. Europeans hunted down and exterminated Amerinds and Aborigines, and partly Polynesians. Just for greed.

Okay. That's cool, even though they did the same thing to other tribes. The anthropological and archaeological evidence bears that out too. People are people, not matter the epoch.

To raise one cow for market takes the same amount of resources that would be needed to feed a few hundred people for a year .yet that cow if given to those few hundred people wouldn't even provide enough for one meal.

Erm, this is rather flawed logic and smells quite a bit like too much vegan propaganda. While yes, the raw food value of a cow does not equal the raw food value of what it takes to feed that cow, there is no good alternative for animal proteins, and if you did the dietary research, you would see rather alarmingly that strict vegans are significantly more prone to certain diseases, and even decreased brain function if they've been following that diet for long enough. Furthermore, the output of a single cow is not merely in the meat we eat, but in all the other things which are rendered from that animal. There are also benefits from the manure, which is used to fertilize crops, and the emitted gasses which are now often collected and used to fuel local operations instead of drawing from the power grid.

All that food that goes into a single cow hardly goes to waste, and actually helps establish a chain of renewable resources which makes other things possible. There is much more to food value than just what fills you. Let's be honest, if a livestock animal didn't put out more than was put into it, they wouldn't exist, period.

Edited by Vagrant0