[Updated] Nexus Trojan/Virus alert

Dark0ne

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after getting this Virus Alert yesterday from this website , my virus protection on my windows security center when off, so i thought it was nothing serious, since i have Avast running but as much as i try to enabled it, it kept telling me i do not have a virus protection program so i thought it was "windows security center (rogue virus)", after looking for this in safe mode i couldn't fine any malicious threads or anything in my PC so i was clueless for about an hour or so , after trying everything i could including running Spy bot S&D and malwarebytes in safe mode and no luck , i decide to install AVG and my problem was resolve ,this was very weird because it seen to me after visiting this site i got this problem, but right now everything its working fine and please don't think I'm blaming the site for it or anything , I'm just sharing my thoughts

I update AVG every day when I turn on my computer. That probably saved me a lot of trouble. A couple days ago, I opened up the Nexus, and found that AVG was yelling at me. I was momentarily confused, but then I remembered the time when the nexus forums got hacked and infected with a similar virus. I also had AVG at that time, and it saved me then as well. The moral of this story is...Ukrainian gangsters are bad. Oh, wait. The real moral is...use protection. You'll be glad you did.

So after getting this Virus Alert yesterday from this website , my virus protection on my windows security center when off, so i thought it was nothing serious, since i have Avast running but as much as i try to enabled it, it kept telling me i do not have a virus protection program

As long as your virus protection is running, it should not be a problem. Windows Security Center (WSC) is a bit flakey. Windows has to "recognize" the antivirus product and not all antivirus products will "register" as being active and up-to-date with WSC. When Comodo was in BETA testing, WSC would sometimes recognize it and other times it wouldn't. When it did, it would stop sometimes right after Comodo updated its engine (version number) and wouldn't detect it anymore. The main thing is that you make sure that your antivirus program is running and is configured to automatically get updates (and is doing so). That was the main thought behind WSC...which is an automated way of keeping you informed on the things you need to be aware of...but when WSC cannot detect the software correctly, it becomes a nuisance.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft only allows specific hash values for the antivirus program detection to ensure viruses cannot tamper with the results...which can make it problematic for antivirus authors if Microsoft is "not on the ball" with updates.

LHammonds

Does anyone know how to tell Firefox to ignore the threat so I can go about looking at the site without WARNING WHITE TEXT IN BIG RED SQUARE OF DOOM page I get every single time I move to a new page on the nexus? I can't even use the mod search function because that damn page pops up and makes every search turn up blank (and I know that if I put in "sword", I'll get results.)

EDIT by LHammonds: This was covered on page 4 by HugePinball

Hmm....It has been quite large amount of time since this "Purge" Began,But alas Chrome is still waving it's Red flag, Are you One hundred percent sure that there is not trace's of the Trojan on your website? Sometime's even the smallest trace can keep the warning up, As can a registry entry with a virus tip off antivirus security.

Is there a way to disable ALL the adds until you have convinced Google, Firefox, etc. that the problem has been resolved? I'm guessing that you probably can't since it would probably violate the terms with the ad providers who aren't causing the problems. Still, some kind of emergency suspension would be nice if the source of the malicious code is hard to track down.

@kayinv

"Does anyone know how to tell Firefox to ignore the threat so I can go about looking at the site without WARNING WHITE TEXT IN BIG RED SQUARE OF DOOM page I get every single time I move to a new page on the nexus? I can't even use the mod search function because that damn page pops up and makes every search turn up blank (and I know that if I put in sword, I'll get results.)"

well as someone else mentioned noscript for firefox helps, you still get the red page of doom as someone put it. but you can search for most things and get results at least it seems like it anyway, but there are still quite a few things that i still cannot search for, but it does help, but only if you are using firefox