Red Squares with White Exclamation Marks Appear After A While Alongside Purple Textures (once the game craps itself?)

Cryoto

Before I address the issue I'll link my modlist just in case the problem lies within there.

Now then, onto the issue...

So I open up Fallout NV from a save. I'll run around a bit and interact with the overworld and then I'll decide to go inside. When I go back outside again I'm suddenly bombarded by red squares with white exclamation marks and purple textures. I know that this means the game is missing certain textures/meshes, however I don't understand why this is happening when the game DOES know where the textures/meshes are, but upon loading up the overworld it suddenly loses them all. After poking around a bit more I did get this problem a couple of times when I went inside a building - characters and objects would be missing textures and meshes.

I did some digging into how to fix this and learned that I needed to use 'Fallout New Vegas ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated' to stop the problem from occuring. I followed the correct steps and activated it, however I fear this actually did more harm than good because when it was activated I couldn't access the pause menu and some HUD textures hadn't loaded. When I deactivated it those problems went away however the pauses menu takes ages to appear and I have to spam ESC to make it come up sometimes. Searching bodies and crates will have a delayed menu and I find myself spamming E as well.

I'm also using the 4 GB patch/exe thing in case the game needs access to more of my VRAM(?) but alas that doesn't seem to be helping either.

So, Nexus, can you please help me? I'm really confused as to what's going on here and the fixes I was pointed to which I have mentioned above do not work for me :(

Technically it does have a 255 "item" limit, by item I mean .esp/.esm/.bsa/stuff found IN the data folder in use or not. Though it varies from person to person it seems, I suggest you do some pruning of your data folder go through and first delete everything your not using then see if that fixes anything. Then start deciding what plugins to remove from your load order.

That said it COULD be that you did not ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated correctly, make sure your using a good program (I suggest FOMM, it works 100% of the time) and make sure you are TOGGLING it off then on, do it a couple times to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a known bug in the game that Beth/Obsidian chose to ignore. My guess is that it would just take too much effort to fix. And most people just don't use that many mods in the game. The exact number of mods you can get to work will vary based on some combination of variables that has been a topic of discussion here before. There are several theories as to what causes it, including my own that Obsidian devs accidentally used a portion of the memory addressing that was supposed to be allocated to mods for something else - and that it would be difficult to fix without a major change.

• 9 months later...

I am having the same issue, and my load order is only 130 with esm and esp. I cant get FOMM to work its so outdated, it crashes when i open it i get errors. And if i manage to launch it then i get another error login in.

Hello bben46 I have the same glitch,, after a period of time, sometimes appears that missing mesh issue, but the thing arent any missing mesh, because I can see the npcs and items good just they have with him a big red exclamation trangle, I use Archive invalidation mod, works good, but because this happens to me after do a lot of stuffs on the game, I think should be a "memory problem", I have a big quantity of mods too, but the whole game is perfect I dont have crashes, I just have that glitch would you tell me what I could do to fix that?, please I will really appreciate it, If its a large things to do, dont worry, well If you want, could you send me a PM please, and f I fix it I will post the Fix here on Forum, or can you tell me a mod, tool or a tweak for the .ini files? I have already tweaked it, and I use 4G patches and other stuffs but maybe I have to do something more, would be nice to know anything you know related to improve the Fallout New vegas "memory, load, cells, capacity, etc", I will be waiting response or anyone who know please, any info is well received, thanks

Cheers!

One other thing to try, is using Loot and FNVEdit to both organize your list, and to clean your DLC's and mods. I know he does Mod Organizer, but look for Dirty Weasel Media on YouTube, and there is one video on how to clean your mods. Use Loot to find which ones to clean, and FNVEdit to clean them.