tattoos

TheCalliton

greetings all

i have been thinking about this, but today i finally decided to ask ya'll

why are tattoos seen as "evil" by people like my grandma (a catholic nun) see tattoos as bad. i also go to a private school, christian school by orde rof my grandma... and they see tattoos as bad too! i dont understand why

greetings all

why are tattoos seen as "evil" by people like my grandma (a catholic nun) see tattoos as bad. i also go to a private school, christian school by orde rof my grandma... and they see tattoos as bad too! i dont understand why

I know someone who is realised and she has tatoos. And she says dont just put anything on there, make something that is meaningfull to you.

Like you dont want to have Tokio Hotel on it and two years later you cannot get it off anymore and then you like in a bad nightmare with Tokio Hotel following you everywhere.

greetings all

Its a prohibition against marking your body in any form ,basically its the idea you were created as perfect as you ought to be and its a vanity to adorn your body with any type of marking be it jewelry,cosmetics or tattoos

It has more to do with pagan traditions and how they used to cover themselves with tattoos to represent a god or tribe. In the other hand tattoos are kind of notorious for being related to crime, like some elements of the biker gangs or some people who have connection with crime (see "The Chopper").

Where I come from they are not evil. Many have a tatoo, a small one on the finger, the shoulder or the foot. Even old people up to 70 years even more, have a tatoo.

I think about 60 % of the population have a smaller or a bigger one.

Here it´s more a matter of do you like it or not. I don´t have one. :tongue:

Calliton, did your Grandma give birth to your Ma or Pa and then take her vows as a nun? As chastity is part of the deal for Catholic nuns.

I would go with brokenenergy's comments on this. For example, on the criminal side, the Japanese Yakuza gangs are by tradition highly decorated. On the non criminal side, in various cultures tattooing, permanent or otherwise, is also part of their tradition. The problem for certain older people - and my own parents would be like your Grandma - is that they associate tattoos with "lowlife", and cannot and do not want to understand any other cultures. They had forty fits when I once attended the wedding of an Indian friend and got my hands henna'd for the occasion. And that wasn't even permanent. I myself do not have tattoos. Having freckles is QUITE enough for anyone.

This probably won't help you much, but basically Brokenergy, Balagor and Ginnyfizz are all pretty much correct. It basically boils down to personal upbringing and culture and then personal choice. Some cultures admire or even insist upon tatooing as a part certain rites. Other cultures admire tatooing as part of less morally upright rites, if you catch my drift. Some see it as body art and frown on it. Some see it as body art and cherish it.

Personally, I do not believe it is anyone's right to judge anyone else for how he or she chooses to adorn his or her body. Nor do I believe we can judge him if he has religious beliefs that speak to how or when he can or should tatoo himself. But I'm pretty sure that is not what you were asking.

You just want to get a tatoo, which is not at all uncommon for a young man of your age. My personal opinion is that the only person who can make that decision is you.

As I said in the beginning, this probably didn't help very much. Sorry.

Everyone has different opinions of tattoos. My dad thinks they are just plain stupid. He wanted to kill me when I got my tattoos. Everyone's different...older people see them as what other posters have said...you're a "lowlife" "gangster" "why would you mutilate your skin" (gran says that to me) I see it as a form of art :) They are beautiful works of art that stay on you forever haha.

What I've seen though...is people just go out and get them because they are "cool"....or it's just an impulse purchase (and that's the LAST thing you want to buy impulsively :P).I'm sure you guys have seen "Ugliest Tattoos"...it's like how many people were drunk when they got those? Or they just got it to say "Look at what I got!"? I got mine as a symbol of what is my passion. I know it will look weird when I'm 80 explaining to my grandkids why I have musical staffs, the word "Libertine", and this (no I don't have In Flames written under it :P) on my right arm...but I love them. I want to get it completed with my first guitar on my shoulder blade and a few other musical influences. Music has kept me going and I wanted to symbolize it forever :)