Fallout new vegas question

I337iB3

"in some way benefit the average end-user"

Not if the average end-user does not have the internet.

Also, on the subject of easy updates, it was as simple as going to the bethesda website and clicking "updates". With this, you also had a backup so you dont have to wait for the slooooow steam servers to download the patch again.

Easy access to DLC: Well, I'll agree with you on that one, but access does not mean quick download times. Slow servers for the lose.

GFWL, Live-able.

No internet required *check*

Boots in less then an hour (while the game is loading, not a week before you can see the main menu) *check*

No internet required *check*

Doesn't take a day or 2 to update (these are the platform updated, which no-one needs anyway) *check*

Did I mention it doesn't need internet?

In theory it would be relatively easy to make versions of current existing mods for New Vegas, as it is the same engine and assumably the same base code some mods may natively work without modifications. But it's all theory untill it's released.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just curious to know where everyone is getting the info that Vegas is a steam only game? The official website doesn't say anything about needing a net connection to play on the system requirements, and it also says that it's a GFWL game (like FO3 was). I'm not trying to say you're all wrong, I'm just trying to further understand. It seems to me, if you buy the game from a store, you wont have to worry about all the steam crap

No, it states that it is a "Games for Windows" game. There's a difference between that classification and "Games for Windows Live". If you go to the main website and read the dev blogs you will find out everything you need, you will also find it all out on the Wikipedia page.

New Vegas WILL work in offline mode, this has been promiced on both ends.

One time activation is needed to be performed online. Here is the trick, you can go to a friend's house and activate it. Or find a wifi spot and activate it on a laptop. Five - ten minutes tops to activate it and then you only need internet for patches or DLC. Simple.

The Bethesda official forms have stated that the PC version is Steamworks and Steamcloud. The X-box version utilizes GFWL as that is proprietary to the hardware. PS3 uses the Sony platform.

Steam is a LOT less intrusive than GFWL. It isn't perfect, but it has the smallest footprint currently out there.

Mods will not be an issue through Steam, and you won't need to BYPASS Steam to use most mods like you needed to bypass GFWL for FO3 when it was only GFWL.

my honest oppinion here......Bethesda went looking for the platform that would cause the least issues for the majority of FO-NV players, and Steam is what they came up with.

No matter what system they decide to run the PC version on, in my personal opinion, it's bulls***. If i'm paying upwards of eighty dollars for the limited edition, even fifty bucks for regular PC version, we shouldn't be subject to a set of arbitrary rules. I don't see much point of trying to regulate the games like this when a lot of people are going to pirate it just as easily as before.

I miss the good ol' days when you found the code somewhere in or on the outside of the manual and had to put it in once and it was done.

No, it states that it is a "Games for Windows" game. There's a difference between that classification and "Games for Windows Live". If you go to the main website and read the dev blogs you will find out everything you need, you will also find it all out on the Wikipedia page.

Ah, my bad. Guess I read that slightly wrong :pinch: But atleast now I know where the info was coming from. If it works in offline mode I'll be happy. I just think games that require internet when it's a single player only game is bs