"Object Fade" Setting & Random Stuttering (on powerful PC)

njkilleen

970 4gb has an issue where the last 512mb of memory allocation doesn't work as smoothly as the rest. Get a non-defunkt card or limit your VRAM somehow. Possibly, you could assign 512 to swap space for ENB (reserved memory setting in ENBLocal.ini) but I have no idea where Boris has that swap allocated to, first or last. You will always have this unless you find some workaround by NOT using that last 512mb.

I am fully aware of the 970's memory shenanigans. Back in January, when I read articles about the issue, I immediately ran Skyrim Performance Monitor to see if that was the culprit. Both it and GPU-Z show that the 970, whilst running modded Skyrim on my system, never crosses above 2gb... if even close to that. (I'm not very heavy on the performance mods, nor am I using an ENB).

Everything I've read about the 970's memory limitations make it very clear that it will only become an issue if crossing above 3.5gb of VRAM usage, and, even then, you might not notice it (varies from game to game). After coming to the conclusion that, since I have a 1080p monitor and have no immediate intention of going 4K or anything crazy like that, future games demanding more than 3.5gb of vram at max settings would be pushing my card to the limit anyways. In other words, if it had been advertised as a 3.5gb card I would have bought it anyways.

What seems to be the case with Skyrim, more often than not, is a persistent macrostutter caused by the game loading new assets into the game world. This happens most commonly when the player crosses into a new uGrid, but it also happens intermittently when objects, items, npcs, textures and other such things are loaded into the RAM and VRAM. It's consistent and repeatable, generally happening in close to the same locations over and over again.

I know it is asset loading stutter, as the stutters happen at exactly the same time as moments of increased disk I/O activity.

I've yet to find a solution that completely solves the stutter, and I'm not entirely sure I ever will. Some people have different amounts of success with different solutions: Dropping distant object detail to High, Lowering shadow distance, overclocking, ENB tweaking, and whatnot. I haven't been playing Skyrim terribly much lately, so I haven't put much time into finding the exact right combination of settings for my system, but distant object detail seems to have the strongest effect for most people.

The fact that so many people share this similar situation shows that this macro-stutter is mostly the fault of the engine.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about going over 3.5gb. I ran a 970 for a while.

Then the news came out I added 4k textures to Skyrim. It averaged 3.4gb with the max of 3.7gm. I didn't feel a thing. The only difference from 2k textures is that Skyrim only lasted half the time.

You nailed it on the stuttering.

Oblivion had a larger stutter issue after modding than Skyrim has. I eventually fixed it by switching to a WD Velociraptor(back in 2007). At fist I ran it with an old slow HD & didn't get the results I wanted. After unplugging the slow hd the raptor came live & the stutters were gone. I had to move my storage to USB & unplug it at game time. I have not had stutter in any games since.

I am planning to replace my raptor with a 1tb SSD later this year. If I get one stutter it will be out & put into a productivity computer & I will stick with the raptors.

I know that SSDs are much faster but their data burst from cache isn't in some cases.

Later

Ok. So, let's look at Skyrim engine and some settings? Can you post your INIs for the game and for any ENB etc you have installed?

Possibilities include ENB Memory settings (compression, swap/reserved, memory manager), tweaked up INIs from shady forums or placebo adjustments.

How large are your average texture files (replacers etc); larger textures will cause a slight stutter while loading, especially when multiple objects are loaded as well as script cycles...all of which still go thru the Skyrim engine before using that awesome hardware.I don't know too many Skyrim modders that will say Skyrim is the best engine out. :whistling:

Commentary:

Startup and load times don't differ much between my SSD and my RAID 5. Mostly, it is cell loads or turning when HD/UHD textures are used that causes any stutter/juddering. A Raptor is damn fast for HDD...and they sound like Ferraris when in RAID. Don't dis the Raptor! :tongue:

Edited by MotoSxorpio

As a final note on the Raptor. Before I got my SSD I had been using a raptor for 3 years, and my computer had always been a noisy mess. The second I turned on my computer with the new SSD all that noise was gone. Utter silence. So performance being equal, the SSD comes way out ahead because of it's silence.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, this is a close description of what i have done to remove stutter, i just want to help because I tested a lot of time.

-install the one tweak mod.

-turn off the game's vsync.

-turn off ENB vsync.

-USE the drivers Vsync on Nvidia's control panel or AMD contro panel (catalyst control center).

-Distant object detail, turn it to high or medium, do not use ultra.

if you want, you can read this guide to improve your game (i don't optimize textures cause i don't like it)

NOTE: english for my bad sorry.

Hey guys I am back with beefier hardware but sadly the same exact stuttering, which is seriously starting to get annoying! -.-

I upgraded my GTX 780 Ti 3GB to a GTX 980 Ti 6GB, my 8GB RAM to 16GB RAM and Windows 8.1 PRO 64 Bit to Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit and thought I was going to get the smoothest Skyrim experience ever. Did a FRESH install of Skyrim and the WHOLE STEP 2.2.9.1 mod list. Followed all instructions to the letter. Was so excited when I finally started the game. Once I exited the cave, stuttering started on the way to Riverwood... I was so disappointed and devastated I thought of just uninstalling the game. Then I decided to dig deeper and am now trying to find out exactly why the stutters are happening and narrow it down. Again the main culprit is Distant Object Details at Ultra values:

fTreeLoadDistance
fBlockMaximumDistance
fBlockLevel1Distance
fBlockLevel0Distance
fSplitDistanceMult

And once again, lowering them to High values got rid of 80% of the stutters but a lot of detail is lost and mountains are flickering like crazy. You would think that with 6GB VRAM, 16GB System RAM and the game installed on an SSD, I should not have any issues right especially after the EnBoost, SKSE tweaks. I keep finding videos on Youtube of people with lower end hardware getting buttery smooth FPS with ENBs and 4k textures. How that is possible, I simply cannot understand. I ran Skyrim performance Monitor and saw that as the stutters happened, I/O jumped and the FPS dropped at the same time. CPU and GPU usage seem pretty consistant, lol if you call 30% GPU usage normal(talk about shitty console port). Now the game is installed on a Samsung EVO 250GB SSD so disk access issues should be nonexistant.

Here are the logs:

http://www.mediafire...Stutter Log.log

http://www.mediafire...utter Log 2.log

I also used the console command "tb" to toggle borders and the stutters happen EXACTLY as I cross the yellow lines. Hmm what could this mean? I am trying to narrow this down now. I have to fix this!

I just the exact same run in First person and the stutter is non-existant. As soon as i switch to third-person or on horseback third person, the stuttering starts. This is very strange.

Edited by scorpgul

I also used the console command "tb" to toggle borders and the stutters happen EXACTLY as I cross the yellow lines. Hmm what could this mean? I am trying to narrow this down now. I have to fix this!

Crossing a yellow line means new cells will become active as those are the cell boundaries. There will be asset loading,script processing and AI activation. There are a number of event listeners that are notified each time a new cell is entered.