New idea for a mod!

peridos

No, I haven't posted in the wrong group! My "new idea", that no-one has ever tried before (obviously) is to invent a companion who does *not* run between your weapon and your enemy just a split second before you fire or swing! Arrggghhhh! It's SO frustrating!

Right. Now that I've got that off my chest, bitter sarcasm mode *off*! Thank you for listening.

It's easy to stop that. Target the companion in the console and type 'kill'. Now, no matter what the situation is, they never will run in front of your sword, nor will you be able to hurt them if they do!

Here, here!

As I've mentioned in several other threads, this is one my pet peeves with Oblivion, and is the reason I simply don't use companions any more. In fact, I don't ride horses because of the same reason. In addition, when I have to work with NPCs (such as in some of the FIghters Guild quests) and those NPCs either don't have to be kept alive or are flagged essential, I let them do the fighting until they're dead or unconscious and then I'll get involved in the fight. I'm just totally sick of this behavior, especially when the PC winds up getting in trouble for something the player can't possibly prevent.

My solution: Don't install companion mods. Period.

I don't like the behavior either. I also have no clue how to modify NPC combat behavior, so I made a mod to help prevent me from killing my companions. (Check my sig link for a mod called BFF4L if you're interested.) Of course it's not an ideal solution but at least it's much more difficult for me to hurt them. Another thing that helps is setting your companions them to ranged attack mode, but even then the computer has surprising tricks to get make them get in your way.

I don't like the behavior either. I also have no clue how to modify NPC combat behavior, so I made a mod to help prevent me from killing my companions. (Check my sig link for a mod called BFF4L if you're interested.) Of course it's not an ideal solution but at least it's much more difficult for me to hurt them. Another thing that helps is setting your companions them to ranged attack mode, but even then the computer has surprising tricks to get make them get in your way.

Consider it this way, if they are not in front of you, they are behind you - add a ranged weapon into the mix and you have a big target on your back for your companion to aim at. :wallbash:

Hmm... Anyone try creating a "Flank Enemy" AI package? Perhaps if there's a target heading check possible, the companion will "flank" them by being 45 to 90 degrees to their left or right instead of attacking head-on, making it slightly possible to attack without hitting your own companions.

@ziitch: Wonderful idea. Why hasn't anyone thought of that before? It is exactly what we were taught to do to in real life to avoid hitting or being hit by 'friendly' fire. Or if in close quarter combat (hand to hand) to keep from getting in each others way.

Actually, it does look possible - There's a GetHeadingAngle function in the AI packages, and perhaps it works as the same in scripting (meaning dynamic ref variables can be used), so through a script and AI package there's a chance that you can get allies (and enemies) to flank without everyone facing each other head-on when they attack. I can see this most useful for ranged characters like archers and spellcasters, and if it's possible, count how many are targeting the same character, what each one is using for a weapon or if they are casting spells, and change their positions to reduce the chance of friendly fire.

Imagine... Smart combat for enemies AND allies - Once thought impossible by Oblivion's AI standards! :D

Now I don't know if you're able to set up this behavior in an AI package or combat style (since I don't have much experience with these), but I do know it would be fairly simple to force somebody to turn and sidestep through a script cause I have done that sort of thing in some of my personal mods.

Are you gonna try to make a mod that does this ziitch? I might be able to help you out a little.