Is a no-disc patch considere piracy?

Deleted1217574User

No, it's not. But there's a natural stigma attached to such software, and they can oftentimes bring in folks admitting things they probably shouldn't... :rolleyes:

But there's nothing inherently wrong with it. A lot of folks use such a thing so they don't end up scuffing up their disc. I myself have a few of them. *juggles Oblivion discs*

It's a terms of use violation. If copyright holders are starting to exercise their rights online games are directly involved. "You cannot pass", the host says and the game is over before it has begun. Moreover, the original CD check of the host does not distinguish between a pirate copy that is usually equipped with a no-cd startup to outmanoeuvre the copy protection and a no-cd patch used to protect the life of the original CD. "You cannot pass! Go back to the shadows! You cannot pass!"

Haha, two conflicting supports there, I see... Well, unless a mod comments, I guess I'm just gonna have to leave it alone =/ Don't wanna get banned.

Well, read this post here.

Okay, you asked for it, so here it is, the official word.

Legal no cd programs are legal, as long as they are used for legal purposes.

Using a no cd program to copy and play the game on your computer is fine.

However then giving or selling either the original DVD or a copy to someone else to use is piracy.

Now, there is one other problem we have run into and that is sometimes using a no cd program can cause problems when patching or installing some utilities or mods. So if you don't have the original - Sorry about your luck.

Bben46, Moderator

so long as you have purched the game i dont see why you shouldent put on a no disk patch, it would be better if game delverpers released no disk patches but made is so that there only install once with comfromation of ownership