Is a no-disc patch considere piracy?

Deleted1217574User

Neither Morrowind (patched), Oblivion, Fallout 3, nor Fallout New Vegas require a no-cd crack. With Fallout 3, all you need to do is run the game .exe (or FOMM, or FOSE) because the disc check is in the launcher, not the game itself - though you will have to insert the disc if it needs to update the configuration files for any reason. Fallout: New Vegas uses steam instead of a disc check for validation. As for the Elder Scrolls games, someone already mentioned that Oblivion happily lives as an .iso image; Morrowind shares this method but only if it's patched. It doesn't require the latest patch, just the last one that someone without the expansions can get. Unpatched Morrowind will reject the iso image. Daemon Tools can be used to create the images from your legally-purchased game discs, and can also be used to mount them as a virtual drive.

Please don't be a pirate; only use these techniques on games you purchased. If you're pirating now, please purchase the game(s) you're using illegally and support the game makers.

I have no concerns about bypassing DRM, I don't see why I should end up with an inferior product because I paid for it. I won't bother messing with New Vegas, I've got a quite a few Steam games and never really had an issue with them.

I have no concerns about bypassing DRM, I don't see why I should end up with an inferior product because I paid for it. I won't bother messing with New Vegas, I've got a quite a few Steam games and never really had an issue with them.

In the case of a DoS attack you will have a paid inferior product. Watch the lag fest at the outset of such an attack...

In the case of a DoS attack you will have a paid inferior product...

Were Steam to get DoSed I'd just switch to offline mode.

Were Steam to get DoSed I'd just switch to offline mode.

In this way the registration of a long seller is guaranteed ^^

I have no intention of selling it so registering isn't a problem, what I'm more concerned about is patches being a Obsidian/Bethesda game.

I have no intention of selling it so registering isn't a problem, what I'm more concerned about is patches being a Obsidian/Bethesda game.

Yup, I've incidentally pointed to a fundamental seller problem, the massive circumcision of future sales after the first DoS. The online patches are thus at the latent risk of being unobtainable, no doubt. And notably laggy, not optimized games always cry for a lot of repair patches. Such a crap frequently happens in the scene when one enters orders...

Do it yourself or don't sell it - there is no happy medium!