⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Isengard mod v2.0 WIP Continued

Eru

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is that I regularly Format my PC every month or so... So I dont allway have the patiance to reintall&configure the mirc, sonow I dont have IRC...

Anyway,

Here is the last picture I am going to publish befor publishing the movie. This is the final configuration of lighting & background, and at last I am fairly satisfied, so it is this configuration which will be used to render the movie:

I know I promissed that the previous picture would be the last one, and I wanted to start rendering the movie, but after seeing how dark it is inside, and how you cant see the detail of the balcony, stairways,gate, bottom pillars, etc. I have decided to pospone the movie and sit down to fix-up some stuff...

So, here is a list of things fixed:

-Balcony: Slightly Re-Modeled, and completely Re-Textured.

-Main Gate: Completely Re-Textured.

-All bottom Pillars structure: Completely Re-Textured.

-All stairways (including main one): Completely Re-Textured.

-Sky: Re-Textured.

Also I decided to implement several key features of 'Mental Ray' for Maya. Each of the following features was enabled (applied), then each of those features's attributes was tuned, tested, then fine tuned and retested again and again, until all the attributes fit in perfectley:

-Final Gathering (bouncing of light rays from surface to surface, illuminating each other)

-Global Illumination (emmitense of photones onto surfaces, illuminating them as the 'real-life' sun would)

-Depth of field (determining ranges of focus effects)

-Motion blur (bluring the objects, as the camera sweeps by them, calculating in 3d, so the final movie would look as if it was photographed in real life)

Bottom line is, Orthanc is now perfecty photo-realistic (as much as possible) INSIDE-OUT!

Here is how it looks from the outside right now:

Looking pretty good... one suggestion though. That blur looks a bit excessive. Unless you've got a really bad camera, a still object like that should be pretty clear, especially if its all about the same distance from the camera.

Also, how much of this added detail will be in the mod? Does Maya have an equivalent of the "render to texture" option so you can save all that perfect lighting as part of the textures?

Thats a good idea! I didnt think of that... I'll deffinatly check it out, but dont you think it will be wierd that the tower is litted from the same angle 24/7 ? I once tried to paint a long shadow of orthanc on the floor of Isengard, and when the sun in the game passed to the opposit direction, it looked very odd...

About the depth of field, you are right of cours. I am now trying to lessen the effect, and also the MotionBlur effect, becaus combined together with GlobalIllumination and FinalGathering, it completly kills render-time (this night it worked 7 hours and rendered only 9 frames, and the movie has 768 frames, so at this speed it could take more then 2 months to render a 32 seconds movie, and thats absored...)

Archived