Lore Question: Feral... Inevitable?

SaijaRii

In Fallout III at Tenpenny Tower there is a side quest (as you already know) involving Ghouls wanting to live in the Tower. If you persuade the residents of Tenpenny Tower to let the Ghouls live with them you will find upon later revisiting the Tower that the once 'peaceful' Ghouls have gone Feral and slaughtered their neighbors, just as the residents had initially feared.

Do Ghouls inevitably become Ferals?

Not really bumping the post since its at the top anyways so...

I don't really think they went feral here, they kinda just got pissed at the stuck up people in the tower so they killed them all once they got in...

I kinda was pissed when I tried to do the quest peacefully and they end up killing everyone anyways -.-

EDIT: Accidentally said "dumped" not bumped lol...

Edited by marharth

Once I saw the outcome, I went back and did the quest the other way and killed all the Ghouls. It’s the only negative thing reported about me on the Radio. It took a little while to get back to be Saviour of the wasteland but I think it was worth it. Some of the residents may be a bit pompous but at least they are breading stock. I didn’t like the thought of them being slaughtered. Once I got to know them some of them may have infuriated me a lot but not enough to see them all butchered.

I have taken care of Tenpenny though he was just too much. He decided to try flying from the tower with a little help.

From what I can gather from lore dialogue, most ghouls DO NOT become feral. What you mean from that quest is not because they are feral, but because the ghoul leader, Roy, doesn't like the neighbors and Tenpenny doesn't like the ghouls. Then Roy kills Tenpenny(you can see the dead body in the bathtub a day later), and eventually, the guards probably finds out and a war breaks out. The ghouls kill the humans and everything is dandy.

But anyways, back to this Feral thing. Most ghouls don't actually become feral unless they turn insane. From what Carol said, the feral ghouls are simply regular ghouls who have gone insane and lost their humanity from the shock and the inability to grapple the fact that they turned into monsters. From also what I can gather, those who are exposed to more radiation have a higher chance to go feral(ex: Nearly all glowing ones in the Capital Wasteland are feral except the disciplined one in the basement for the Holy Water quest.)

• 5 weeks later...

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Carol

A Ghoul born pre-war. Apparently Feral's brains have decomposed to the extent they become, er, feral.

Aside from that, what is ironic about the tenpenny quest is that the ghouls, who resent the "bigotry" of the humans end up slaughtering them. It is interesting in that it suggests that one should not automatically assume that the party calling itself the victim is the one you should be siding with....

• 4 weeks later...
I've never did this quest using the diplomatic solution, only the two others (killin' Roy or letting the ghouls in). After reading what happens to the residents, I would be pissed! I don't really like ghouls anyways, all the 'boo-hoo's and such, plus they're disgusting mutants that need to be purged from the wasteland. If the underworld didn't have such a good market they would be slaughtered in my world as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never did this quest using the diplomatic solution, only the two others (killin' Roy or letting the ghouls in). After reading what happens to the residents, I would be pissed! I don't really like ghouls anyways, all the 'boo-hoo's and such, plus they're disgusting mutants that need to be purged from the wasteland. If the underworld didn't have such a good market they would be slaughtered in my world as well.

You... support the Enclave, don't you?