Do you need vanilla skyrim for mods?

yagamijase

First, I apologize if this is in the wrong place and if it's been asked before. Secondly, I'm new to Nexus, so please try to understand the possible newbie question. Which is:

Do I need the vanilla Skyrim (DLCs included) to use any mods?

Thanks in advance,

Jase

Put simply, yes. Some mods don't require some DLC, but yes, you need at least Vanilla Skyrim. And you also need SKSE for at least 87% of all mods, and SkyUI for about 85% of all mods, with some overlap between it and SKSE.

And some mods quite obviously require DLC. Example, Vampire Lord retextures. You wouldn't think of installing that without Dawnguard, would you? Retextures of Hermaues Mora's Black Books. Obviously need Dragonborn. Anything to do with adoptions. Need Hearthfire.

Put simply, yes. Some mods don't require some DLC, but yes, you need at least Vanilla Skyrim. And you also need SKSE for at least 87% of all mods, and SkyUI for about 85% of all mods, with some overlap between it and SKSE.

And some mods quite obviously require DLC. Example, Vampire Lord retextures. You wouldn't think of installing that without Dawnguard, would you? Retextures of Hermaues Mora's Black Books. Obviously need Dragonborn. Anything to do with adoptions. Need Hearthfire.

I see. For the life of me, I can't seem to find Vanilla Skyrim and it's DLCs. Could you possibly help?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/ <--- skyrim

First the term "vanilla" tends to mean the base game without DLCs.

Second, yes of course you need the base game if you want mods for it. Can't put clothes on a pug that you don't have can you? If you don't have the game you can get all the mods you want but they won't work.

DLCs are official content for the game at an extra price, they include textures, models and scripts that some mods will require. Not all, surely, so it's possible to play vanilla Skyrim with mods without having DLCs but generally if you're interested in a moddable game for the mods - you're going to want the base game and the DLCs so that all the mods are available to you.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/28187/ <--- Skyrim Legendary edition (Skyrim+DLCs)

DLC's are mods that have been officially released by Bethesda. When you say "mods" you are usually referring to fan based content. Do pick up the Legendary Edition from Steam and you will be good to go.

Rabbit