ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

3DS max exporing armor tutorial?

wolfokami

Ive been trying my honest to god hardest to edit this armor in 3ds max and then export it but im not sure how to do it. I can do helmets and hair just fine. To make it even worse all of the tutorials for rigging are in blender which i hate so muuuccchh. So what im asking i guess, is can someone give me a tutorial for exporting/ rigging armor in 3ds max?I liked Ghoghiels tutorial for helmets the best so something similar to that.

it's not so complicated.

after you have your completed mesh. reset xform. collapse modifier stack. Import the skeleton. I ALWAYS rig to a editable poly, not editable mesh- afaik skin only works fully with edit poly

short description: add a skin modifier to your mesh, add bones to skin, paint skin weights. the mesh is now rigged.

Add a material to your mesh with a texture map in the diffuse slot.

Now you can export straight to a nif and it will work in game without any post processing. use these settings:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/imageshare/images/209926-1274905546.jpg

Go and test your rigging in game.

tweak.

test.

etc.

Once you are satisfied, you will want to setup the dismember partitions, meat caps, and arrange the left arm for pipboyon/off, for the final export. There is a tutorial on the niftools site with describes how to use the modifier and to create meat caps.

the only 'tutorial' I have ever looked at in regards to skinning is on this page: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13818978&linkID=9241175

everything else i worked out just by pressing all the buttons and seeing what they do. :biggrin:

I basically block all the weights out, then I use the weight tool quite extensively to set all the blending between bones. Its just quicker and more precise imo, just select 2 verts, hit loop, or otherwise make a selection, set weight, rinse&repeat. also use the blend button sometimes to soften it up if need be. I can tell you now shoulders will sometimes drive you bonkers...

anyway, just refer to youtube for more tutz, and study a similar vanilla meshes rigging to see roughly how the set up their skin weights.