Skyrim Sluggish - Is my Rig not good enough?

skeriphin

@del_boy

I will try removing ENB - so far I am enjoying FXAA Injector quite well. - I'll gove imaginator and dynavision a try as well.

Skyrim being CPU bound is of course dependent on the massive amount of scripts running. When I had my 970 by itself I was not able to pull 4k fluidly - now I can with both GPUs - that is with Vanilla on Ultra and Nvidia Control Panel 3D Settings maxed out. :)
I had to turn the 3D settings to Default for ENB.

I can appreciate ENB however I personally have found it cumbersome to use - FXAA is awesome so far. I look forward to the two you suggested - thank you.

-SK

I would limit some texture mods to ones that absolutely make a difference. enb adds so much i would keep itc but find one that is easier on performance, you can have it look great and be playable without dropping it.

About load order, LOOT is not a be all end all, a hand placed load can be more stable , but if you are new then loot is a good place to start.

Also, turn ugrid down more maybe, the difference it makes is not so dramatic. Personally i use default, but each his own.

@Rev11

At this point I decided to export my mod list from MO to CSV and Scrap my mods and load order. I am starting from scratch partially because of the general performance but mainly due to this thread: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2538794-wits-end-exterior-ctd-always/

I may try an ENB again - I do still find it cumbersome to use - might just be me.

LOOT I can understand - TES5Edit I am starting to get it but Wrye Bash I am lost on.

This time I am sticking with the Default UGrid for now.

The only thing you really need Wrye Bash for really, is to make bashed patches(yes it has many other features I know....)-and thats easy, an automated process. The other 'helper' apps, LOOT, NMM, Tesedit etc, can handle the rest of it.

ENBs suck. No really, they do. Everytime I upgrade and I say, Im gonna use an ENB now-and every single time, its the same thing. Micro-stuttering and jerkiness. I can get 45-60fps, but that stutter never goes quite goes away. So fook em. Sure things look pretty, but I always end up getting rid of them and sticking with Post-FXAA injector.

Sounds like you need to dump that install and start over again-with good stable suite of mods that play well together imo.

You shouldn't have a problem using ENB with that rig unless you're using countless stupidly hi-res textures and city overhaul mods that add countless extra meshes.

Couple of thing to try lower shadow distance in SkyrimPrefs.ini fshadowdistance=4000 or less and try dropping shadows from Ultra to High these make a huge difference in my game, shadow resolution goes from 4096 on Ultra to 2048 on High. Thats a 50% difference in resolution and a resource hog. If you are using ENB turn on shadow detailing and you shouldn't notice much difference. Personally I use SweetFX as its much less heavy on resources than ENB and use its FXAA its much superior to Skyrim's built in one and hogs less framerate too. Get SweetFX Configuratoir and tweak Lumen, Chroma and Sharpness and you'll scarcely miss an ENB.

@ skeriphin:

Is this just a separate module that various other ENB presets take advantage of?

Yes, with FXAA or SMAA. See here:

SweetFX download

SweetFX Configurator

A comparison of SweetFX vs ENB

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4666010

I thought I saw some one else mention another post processing tool however I am unable to find it.

RCRN? Havn't tried it myself.

Edited by soupdragon1234

@Mebantiz

How crucial is a Bash esp? I do understand what it does - it creates a web of compatibility to various mods in the load order and that sounds amazing however I don't seem to notice and difference with a Bash. Also Mod Organizer says the ESP is a dummy file however I do not see a BSA.

You are right - I do need a new mod setup and I am working on this now.

@Soupdragon1234

I do find EMB cumbersome as I have said many times. I feel so far like I get more from FXAA Injector. I am also running Dynavision and Imaginator per previous suggestion. When ever I install an EMB- sweetfx installs with it? Is this just a separate module that various other ENB presets take advantage of?

I thought I saw some one else mention another post processing tool however I am unable to find it.

Thank you

-SK

I do have2x 970 in SLI but it would still hit that limit either way. :smile:

that's correct

on bashed patch: it is vital. actually it's the only way to play with some mods together. or anything that change the same thing more than once in a different way.

records work like trees. you have one that changes something down the tree, then comes another mod that changes something else in that tree, it doesn't really change that single value. instead what happens is that mod #2 replaces the whole tree and the changes in mod #1 are lost. so BASH ...ALWAYS!

edit: wow, i don't see how you could have been playing with apocalypse, perkus maximus and better quest objectives all at once without bashing....and without crashes!

Edited by VileTouch