New distribution permissions options for all files

Dark0ne

This is a good feature.

Thinking about Antistars last comment:

perhaps during upload "modders" should have to explicitly state who made the resoureces used in their mod.

Just stating, since it also seems rather bizarre that somebody could get banned for "stealing the work" of somebody who performed a sneaky outside resource port or game rip and got away with it.

Edited by greywaste

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we should never be so selfish in our own desires that we look lightly on the idea of harming someone else

How exactly is a Modder harmed when their free resources are Modded by someone else (assuming the re-Modder gives them credit)?

Do they lose money? No. Do they lose time? No. Do they lose notability? No.

Did you have to ask the Publisher/Developer for permission to Mod their game or alter their resources? No, you didn't. Would not expecting others' to have to ask permission to Mod your Mod or alter your resources be the clearly selfish act?

Considering that there's not a single valid reason to ever deny someone permission in the first place (spite most certainly should not count). There's no point in requiring it to begin with.

Of course, a site's ToS can stipulate almost whatever it wants for any (or no) reason, so there's really not much point in discussing/arguing about it.

Edited by Offkorn

Offtopic: Can you put something on the front page about how Nexus handles non changed named files? Alot of mods are updated yet the authors are unaware that if they dont change the name or atleast(could be 1 letter) Nexus never uploads the new file. Users don't get the new file(fixes/updates what have you)

Causes so much confusion. Issue like this is on Nexus and with the flood of new modders, i'm sure they are unaware how the site handles. Vet nexus uploaders know about this but every uploader should be warned.

Issue needs to be addressed.

Why isn't the default settings for these new options "Unspecified"?

----------------------------------

**Disclaimer***

I am well aware that the ToS can be stricter than actual laws, and am not arguing about it in the below part of this post.

***Disclaimer***

It's called copyright. Just because a mod author chooses to upload something does not make it a free-for-all that can be redistributed willy-nilly. In the vast majority of territories, when you create something you have copyright over it by default.

Fair Use. Copywrite law focuses on commercial products and redistribution.

If money is not being made or lost and/or the entire 'product' is not being redistributed in an unaltered form, Fair Use will usually apply.

Copyright law doesn't care whether the work has a value

Yes, actually, it does.

They have not given you permission to use their resources to publish mods for other games (like FO:3 or Oblivion).

I was not talking about Modding with cross-game resources.

That can indeed be a breach of copywrite (assuming the Mod doesn't fall under Fair Use).

No. The selfish person is the one who assumes that they don't need to ask permission before using another person's hand-crafted resources in a public mod.

Again; how is that selfish when the resources being used are also a free public Mod?

Nothing, actual or theoretical, is being lost by the re-distribution (assuming, again, that proper credit is given).

Edited by Offkorn

The whole aim of this new feature is to properly emphasise how important it is to credit other people's work in your own and accept another person's wishes.

If you're writing an essay or article for school, college, university or your work place you absolutely have to reference your work or you'll end up in trouble...some times serious trouble depending on the circumstances. There's absolutely no reason why it's any different here. You should always credit other people's work even if they ask for no credit. It's only fair, and it's the right thing to do. We won't chase down people who don't credit authors who specifically say they don't need credit, but you should still credit these people.

It's also very important to respect the wishes of the people who make the content. Some authors are very open with their work; they like to share and see their work used and manipulated by others in small and grand schemes. Others are very closed with their work and have various reasons and motives for this. In an ideal world the Nexus would resemble a "bazaar"...a marketplace where everything was free and open to use. Unfortunately many mod authors don't want this, and since the modding community wouldn't exist without them it's in everyone's best interests to insure they feel safe, secure and happy when they release their work...albeit it's important to insure they don't exploit their relationship with the site. It's a balance I've had to deal with for over 9 years now and I feel I've got at least some experience with now.

On the topic of copyright law; it's irrelevant here. Even if you can argue that copyright law allows fair-use of modders work without them giving permission it wouldn't change the fact you can't upload the file here without permission. So lets not argue about it.

I have changed the layout and whereabouts of the file on the file pages. The link to see the permissions can be found by clicking "Credits and permissions" under "Options".

The aesthetics of the page have changed slightly; crosses have been added on any actions that are not allowed, a "comment" icon has been added for options that require you to seek permission and ticks for everything that is allowed.

A pink warning box has been added to file pages where the author hasn't touched their permissions and ergo, seeking permission is the best course of action.

Seconding a "Translation permissions" block/category. I allow non-English translations but the current scheme doesn't allow for an easy way to specify that short of using the "notes" box which seems a bit awkward.

Also seconding the wording on "All the assets in this file belong to the author" because when you're setting that yes/no flag in the edit screen it actually says "Does your file contain assets used from other authors (that you have permission to use) that can't be redistributed without permission?" which from a legalistic standpoint are two entirely different things.

I heartily agree with both of these.

I like the intent of what you're doing here. I don't like the execution. These dialogue boxes and warnings seem to be increasing in size and color saturation every time you add a new one, and they're getting spammy for both uploaders and downloaders. It feels hostile.

I have to put my permissions and credits in my Readmes anyway. Now I get to do it twice - once for the Readme, and once for Nexus. Except the Nexus drop-downs can't actually sum what is in my Readme with any sense or accuracy, so I'm forced to choose the closet thing, and copy/paste that portion of my Readme into your boxes anyways to clarify, and then it's just a confusing mess because the two are right next to each other and say blatantly different things.

I suggest you just do away with the drop-downs entirely, and just leave a friendly reminder for users to give credit and set permissions. Maybe link to an article with details on what that is, for new uploaders. If you MUST have users define permissions (or be stuck with what you've chosen for them, in the case of absence or apathy), consider tickboxes. Ones that don't make logical sense to used together can cancel each other out, and some will have a few sub-options, and generally the uploader can tick any number or combination. I came up with these, which may be too much or not enough:

Mod Usage:

You may not distribute this mod.

You may distribute this mod freely.

[Only for the game I made it for]

[The mod must not be altered in any way.]

[You must give me credit for my work.]

[You must notify me.]

[You must include a link back to my download.]

[You must include my original documentation.]

[You must not require payment for my work or access to my work.]

You must ask my permission before distributing this mod.

You may distribute translations of this mod freely.

[The mod must not be altered except where necessary for the translation.]

[You must notify me.]

You must ask my persmission before distributing a translation of this mod.

My Resources:

You may distribute my resources from this mod freely.

[You must notify me.]

You must ask my permission before distributing my resources from this mod.

You may not distribute my resources from this mod.

Other Resources:

This mod contains resources originally made by someone else, so you must follow thier wishes for distribution of those resources.

In this last case, there need be no other options, because nobody should get to define permissions for someone else's work. If it was a free-to-use resource, any conscientious modder should still go look at the original source to be sure of that fact before re-using the resource.

Just an idea anyway, in an effort to not complain without at least trying to help. I do like what you mean to be doing here.

Edit: no codebox tags? :(

Edit 2: Posting over you is awesome. >.<

Edited by Khettienna

We tried the friendly reminder way first. It didn't work. Many of the new members who came in with the release of NV do not seem to understand the site rules and have not taken the time to read them.

We were getting dozens of reports of stolen content a day - most relating to porting FO3 mods to NV without asking the author first. Many of these authors would like to port their own mod - possibly with new content more suited to NV.

Since the implementation of the new system those reports have dropped by about 80%. This tells me that the new system is doing what it was designed to do - cut down on stolen mods.

Yes, it is a little more time consuming for those who do bother to post their preferences already. However, we were seeing that those preferences were not being followed most of the time. More people - but still not all - actually read the pink box information.

I have to put my permissions and credits in my Readmes anyway. Now I get to do it twice - once for the Readme, and once for Nexus. Except the Nexus drop-downs can't actually sum what is in my Readme with any sense or accuracy, so I'm forced to choose the closet thing, and copy/paste that portion of my Readme into your boxes anyways to clarify, and then it's just a confusing mess because the two are right next to each other and say blatantly different things.

I've taken your comments in to consideration and have added a tickbox to the settings that allows you to do away with the drop-down menus and specify your own criteria using the "Permission instructions" textarea. Hopefully it will help reduce conflicts between the drop-down options and the instructions authors put in the textarea.

Valid points on both sides, but i have to agree with how Nexus is handling it. I also think they should implement it the way Khettienna suggested..but whatever works.

However, in my opinion..this new feature will also keep the site from containing a gazillion "similar but non congruent ported mods"?

Also maybe prevents some good mods from ever developing due to these new rules. But modders who completely vanished and left the scene and cannot be contacted, who left no instructions or permissions - resources should be available to anyone in the community.

Edited by streetstar5