New distribution permissions options for all files

Dark0ne

This is not a new policy, It's been there all the time. It's just that it is so easy to port (convert a mod from one game to another) mods from Fallout 3 to New Vegas that many people who do not know how to make their own mods have been doing this. If they get permission first it's not a problem, but they haven't been doing this. So Dark0ne came up with the new way of letting them know its against the rules.

I have downloaded a dozen or so mods to check them out today with no problems though.

As far as music files, You are not allowed to use any copyrighted music in a mod Unless you pay the music company for the right to distribute it. Not our rule, but the same law that says you cannot upload copyrighted music on the internet. If you don't like it, take it up with the music companies that like to sue people. Most of the uploaded music replacers are copyrighted tunes. We remove them and ban the uploader. There have been several that use music from before about 1950 that the copyright expired on. We still have to block them until we check every tune on them for copyright as we don't want to be sued. Most of the time when we ask the uploader where they got the song, they don't remember so that makes it difficult.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like and dislike the policy, the game is in dire need of mods, if the author of the F3 mod doesnt respond or is no longer playing/active, then what? someone make the same mod only to be accused of stealing?

there are alot IMO essential mods that must be ported regardless of all that permission nonsense, for example right now I can't find any mod adjusting ragdoll physics, earlier today there was at least 3, yeah they totally had the same line of code as the ones in fallout3, but how else are you going to make a mod for a game thats basically a reskin of fallout 3

There's a "dire need" for mods, eh? Well, have you made any yet? I'd think that someone who is so dependent on free content to shore up their gaming experience would show a little more respect for the folks who create it.

there are alot IMO essential mods that must be ported regardless of all that permission nonsense

@zzzztz: And when you're a tyrannical leader, you're welcome to take whatever you "must" have and make people do what "must" be done with them at your whim.

But since right now you're not King, you don't get to make the rules of this website, or Bethesda's terms of use, or copyright law, and you don't get to own any modders, or any mods - really, just you're lucky mods exist at all and you get to see them in any form. So I would say, in this case, use of the word "must" is probably a poor choice. Try asking nicely, and with the understanding that you don't get to pick.

Edit: emote failure

Edited by Khettienna

some people like the way the game is, some people don't, personally i think the game is messed up without alot of the fixes... sadly fixed by f3 mods... this has nothing to do with king and stuff btw, its a comment, if you dont like it delete it

no i dont make mods, not this game at least, and i dont see how my comment was disrespectful to those that mod... i agree that some mods involving skin/mesh/etc should be left alone, but there are a ton of small mods that dosent involve major coding that can be easily ported but you basically says can't do it because its stealing, even if you credit the original author, the uploader and the author can be separate entities, nothing is stolen

seriously take a chill pill.... all i am questioning is how can someone obtain permission from people that are no longer around... i mean imagine the F3 noautoaim mod guy is nowhere to be found, no such mod for NV on this site forever cuz permission is never obtained? lol

Edited by zzzztz

i like and dislike the policy, the game is in dire need of mods, if the author of the F3 mod doesnt respond or is no longer playing/active, then what? someone make the same mod only to be accused of stealing?

Making the same kind of mod is allowed, and is not stealing at all, so that is what will have to be done about such mods. It's really not a problem at all - You can use the original mod as a reference, and make a mod that is similar, but not a copy. :)

I'm glad to have the credits and permissions section--now, of course, this does mean filling them out in triplicate in my case (readme, description and now the new page) but I don't mind. In fact, now there's really no excuse for using someone else's file that they don't want edited, or using it in a way they don't want it to be. :) Nobody is saying anybody should grovel--just treat others the way you would want them to treat you.

zzztz: Don't think that the modders that aren't actively modding Fallout 3 are ignoring Fallout: New Vegas; ttomwv had passed the RR Companions Vault to another modder to maintain, but contacted that modder when New Vegas was released about whether he was going to port it to New Vegas. NosRhyfelwr isn't getting it anytime soon, so ttomwv and I are doing the port and I will be maintaining the New Vegas version; I asked both of them, since I don't play FO3 without it. Even if asking permission wasn't required, I still would have asked, since doing so is a sign of respect for the person that created the mod in the first place.

seriously take a chill pill.... all i am questioning is how can someone obtain permission from people that are no longer around...

Simple: You don't.

If a modder has left no notification that allows people to use\alter\redistribute\convert their mod, then it is taken that people do not have permission to do so. Assuming that just because they are absent, or claiming it's all fine because credit is listed for them (It's never fine) does not cut it, and it still boils down to others NOT having permission to do anything with that mod.

i mean imagine the F3 noautoaim mod guy is nowhere to be found, no such mod for NV on this site forever cuz permission is never obtained? lol

Making a mod similar to one already available is not in question, using one (or parts of one) that someone else has created is. If you, or anyone else can create a mod that does the job, fine. No problem there.

Assuming that people can convert and upload mods from absent mod authors just because it's felt that they're needed, and the original creators are not present to disagree - that is a problem, and one that will get people banned.