New distribution permissions options for all files

Dark0ne

For some of the questions being asked, common sense is the answer- an analogy I would give is finding an old book, out of print, publisher closed, author gone and no clear owner. Should you be allowed to pass it to a new publisher with your name on it, or change a few lines or chapters? No, morally, if not legally in my opinion- even if you do credit the author.

Instead of looking at rebundling mods, renaming and taking, some ingenuity, invention and creation and WORK should be employed to broaden the scope of mods available, to avoid making the games even MORE similar.... (in a way, I am VERY disappointed that this is the case, in the rehashed assets both by the developers and the modding community)...

Nexus and modders are now in a good position to separate the 2 games and make them actually look, play and feel differently, and Nexus' new rules can facilitate this as a side effect. Good, in my opinion.

Dark0ne and co. have this one right, and do support modders- AND users alike; through not having modders give up due to having work plagiarised, they continue making and releasing work for eveyone to share.

I would like to say this to 'modders' wanting to tweak/ re-release/ re-badge other peoples work; why not make new ones instead? LEARN from older mods, and experienced modders, don't steal from them! Make new, original mods. New game. Better. You want new creatures/ graphics/ weapons/ gameplay? Make new ones and try to actually improve on the old mods. That way things move forward, and we get... originality. PLEASE, give us originality!

Edited by NMC

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it all comes down to it....it is the golden rule...Those with the gold, make the rules. People can rail all they want but the policy won't change.

I, for one, am happy that it is Dark0ne "with the gold making the rules".

All of these new features should cut down on the mistakes some modders make about what is and isn't acceptable....at least the honest mistakes anyway.

I think in the grand scheme of things the new feature is a good thing. Obviously it will help protect the work of modders from being abused, and will aid the moderators in dealing with abusers. However, I can't help but think that there will be complications regarding older files and resources that were uploaded to the site years ago.

An example of my concern is the popular Ren's Beauty Pack for Oblivion. It was uploaded in 2006. The author hasn't been active on the forums since 2007. I and many other people have since then used the contents of this mod in creating new characters for Oblivion. Now it's 2010. If I can't get in contact with this modder to secure official permission to use the resources in Ren's Beauty Pack, do I need to voluntarily remove my files or will they be deleted and I'll get a strike or a ban?

I realize this may be an extreme case, and there may or may not be exceptions to the rule depending upon moderator decisions, but like most members of this community I endeavor to stay within the rules and I want to make sure that any future works I upload are done so in the confidence that I have not broken a rule by submitting them.

@NCM,

I am in total agreement. It is a new game. Make new content for it. I find it odd that a lot of New Vegas fans are lore purists and hated FO3, yet are instistant on using non-lore content in their 'pure-lore' New Vegas games. :blink:

@Herculine

The new features are indeed a good thing. Concerning the older files, some of them have been used, abused, and recycled so many times there could be a De facto precedent. Almost every character cosmectics pack on the Nexus has Rens somewhere in it somewhere. Some of these don't mention Ren, even though it is obvious where the hair models and textures came from.

If a modder wants to use older 'abandoned' files it might be best to contact the staff and get an opinion first. I think ASKING first and having things evaluated on a case by case basis is fair, though I'm sure there will be those who disagree with me.

I'm not going to officially rule one way or another on the matter of using resources from other users who have since become inactive in the community and have not provided any hint of how they would like their files to be used by others. I'm not going to come out and say "Oh, you wait two weeks and if you hear nothing then it's all fine and dandy". We look at these things on a case-by-case basis.

What I will say is that these cases tend to be very rare (as the authors generally don't tend to come back) but anyone using the resources of another member who has become inactive without leaving a note on permissions runs the risk of that author coming back and asking for you to remove their content from your files. If such a situation does occur then yes; you will be expected to remove another author's content from your files.

As far as I see it the pendulum swings both ways; if the author didn't want their content being used in other mods then they should have stated so in their description or ReadMe. As such, when they became inactive and did not reply to permission requests, and a considerable and fair amount of time had passed without response, then using the author's resources became acceptable on the premise that should the original author return and request you remove the content, you must follow the original author's wishes. This, of course, only applies to those files that have absolutely no mention of their wishes about resources being used elsewhere. If the author has made it clear you must ask permission to use their work and does not reply to any of your contact then that's your loss (and our loss)...you cannot use their content without the original author's permission. There's no "Oh, the author said to ask for permission and then didn't reply to my attempts to get in contact so I used the content anyway".

Am I making sense here?

If this is what you said...

- Mod makers should include permission info with their files.

- If mods do not include permission info, and a reasonable time (defined on a case-by-base basis by the nexus staff) has passed in which the mod authors could not be contacted, then other mod makers are allowed to use those mods however they wish.

...then yes, it makes sense to me.

- If they do not include permission info, and a reasonable time (defined on a case-by-base basis by the nexus staff) has passed in which they could not be contacted, then other mod makers are allowed to use their resources.

On the premise that if the original author comes back and says "take it out" they must comply.