Half Life 2

thanateros

I was informed yesterday that the reason why HL2 was put on delay is because some hacker punk managed to install a keylogger onto the president of Valve's computer. Using their passwords etc. they managed to rip off the source code for thee entire HL2 game and posted it on the internet.

Needless to say I'm pissed off. All their anti-cheat/hacking code for multiplayer just went to waste, and all of the scripts are out there for people who take games way to seriously. How pathetic is it that we live in a world where people do this sort of thing. I for one would like to say I hope HL2 can rebound from this sort of thing.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_405879,0003.htm

I second your outrage Thanateros. The hacker only got 1/3 of the source code but it still delays the rollout until April. Vivendi (the maker) is in financial trouble and they were counting on getting the game out in time for holiday sales. This set back hurts pretty bad, their stock is down something like 19 USD. Anyway, basically that hacker (hackers) delayed one of the most anticipated games in a long time and may have cost the company its solvency.

The designers will rewrite all the compromised portions of the source code before the game is released so the hacker accomplished nothing. Nothing except pissing a lot of people off. That individual must be pretty impressed with themselves, sitting alone in their mothers dark basement surrounded by computers.

I have respect for people talented enough to do things like this. I have none for those who chose to use their abilities maliciously. I'd cheer if they attacked the Department of Defense website or bugged %&$! Cheney's computer, but stuff like this just pisses me off.

Ugh, as if we need more proof that people are idiots. I mean, anyone want to bet that they'll be using it for testing/mod making and we'll all benefit from it? Nope, Hell hasn't frozen over yet. So all this means is more hacks and piracy, just what we all need. All I can see is the disaster of the 12 year old cs "community" ruining this game as well. And of course its the honest players that take the punishment by having to wait months for the game we all want. Whoever did this better hope they don't ever meet me or I'll have a new head for my pike!

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah man hackers suck. Theres no point in playing a game when someone has a ton a special stuff that makes him imposible to beat. I mean they can do that on their own time against bots. But really no one has fun if someone is cheating. But you dont have to worry about that in mw :D !!!

"I have respect for people talented enough to do things like this. I have none for those who chose to use their abilities maliciously. I'd cheer if they attacked the Department of Defense website or bugged %&$! Cheney's computer, but stuff like this just pisses me off. "

Mojlnir i agree with you in that :)

Well I heard somewhere that a guy who's distributing the source on Usenet has claimed to be the, for lack of a better word, person (Bait-and-switch! You thought I was going to say "hacker," didn't you? You poor naive fool!), responsible for this whole incident. It is said that, even as he claimed responsibility, one could identify him in less than a minute.

This does seem a bit odd. I mean, you'd have to be pret-ty smart to download a keylogger and a sniffer, then play "guess the password to Gabe's hotmail account," eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it does have the smell of a leak to it *coughs* Doom 3 *cough*

Excuse me, bad case of ? throat...

But if this was legit, then i for one would gladly string up the fool(s) buy the their CENSORED. When i hear people say that these people are gamers who take it too far really annoys me. If they were real gamers they would wait like the rest of us and enjoy it when it was released. As a retired hacker (never anything like this; just my old boss PC and a few small-time businesses) i respect how they did it, but im still realled pissed off about his. i want this game so much i can taste the headcrab juice. Damn hackers...

Archived