Is this legal?

Kalizar

If Bethesda did take issue, the first step would probably be to send a cease & desist letter. This would require all of your work to cease, and all materials relating to it to be digitally destroyed. Anyone who was found to be hosting, or distributing, their IP (regardless of this legal warning) would then have court action taken against them.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! And, thanks for the suggestion, Dante, and that's exactly what I did before asking this question, as a matter of fact. Maybe I'll upload a retextured Trog to Fallout3Nexus, since the idea came to mind in the first place, but I guess I'll just have to live with the retextured spore carrier on the New Vegas Trog mesh, even though the teeth and eyes look like skin :P

Anyway, the information is useful and most likely saved me a lot of trouble in the future. Thanks, guys.

Ok, NV does not have the Subendtable01, just subendtabledirty01. Would it be considered illegal to transfer that endtable from Fallout 3?

Yup. If it isn't in the New Vegas - GECK or an entirely whole creation done by a modder, it is illegal to use. Its a choice of using what they give us in New Vegas, or making it entirely from scratch ourselves. Even taking the table from FO3 to use as a skeleton would be illegal.

Now, that said, I have a question. Is it illegal to use the characters as well? I'm working on a mod that brings back some familiar faces from FO3 as characters if I can. I know I can't use the same models/voice work from FO3, but is it ok to take the desk girl from Vault 22, (first thought I had when I saw her was, "Sarah!") slap some Brotherhood armor on her with an edited template, and rename her "Sarah Lyons" or some variation thereof?

Ok, NV does not have the Subendtable01, just subendtabledirty01. Would it be considered illegal to transfer that endtable from Fallout 3?

Yup. If it isn't in the New Vegas - GECK or an entirely whole creation done by a modder, it is illegal to use. Its a choice of using what they give us in New Vegas, or making it entirely from scratch ourselves. Even taking the table from FO3 to use as a skeleton would be illegal.

Thats just crazy. It's not like it's weapons or armor. It'll totally screw up my things. That need a clean end table. For.

Though I bet it was a real bone of contention between Bethesda and Obsidian whether or not they could use that end table.

Thats just crazy. It's not like it's weapons or armor. It'll totally screw up my things. That need a clean end table. For.

Though I bet it was a real bone of contention between Bethesda and Obsidian whether or not they could use that end table.

Honestly, from what I can tell Obsidian just ripped out anything that seemed to be "defined" in FO3, then went a built a few replacements for things they really needed. For example, the model for Liberty Prime is missing, but most of his information is still in New Vegas. My guess would be the end table had a named object on it and got deleted as collateral damage.

IE: 90% of Mothership Zeta models are included with NV, though 89.99% of them are not even in the actual game.

Wait, so with some GECK work, could I basically build myself a smallish Mothership Zeta area to use as a backdrop for screenshots? You know, for story purposes... Blaze beams up to Zeta.. beams down to Vegas and such... XD

That'd be awesome.

It's one of those grey areas that while will never in a million years get you in trouble, isn't allowed on the nexus.

What he said. Project Brazil Has Troglodytes in our Mod. We are using the assets of the Spore Creature and just undoing the modification to the mesh that Obsidian did. It's a work around the bulls*** to stay compliant that, as stated, would never in a million years get us either in trouble or even an eyebrow raise from the high and might Bethesda employees. Hell, from messages I've gotten from one guy on their original Fallout 3 staff, they're be GLAD to let us port between games.

But, it's the price you pay to play the game.

@ evilneko

Yup. Most (at the very least) of the meshes from MZ are located in the Meshes BSA. You could just make a few statics and go ^_^