New Vegas Content into Fallout 3

detectivep

Porting some of the better mechanics would be nice.

you cannot change the game mechanics, or the game engine itself

i may be more experienced in oblivion stuff, but since by the same company, im assuming that the same rules apply

I understand now.

To do this, you would need to find the .dds files associated with the ranger combat armor. I think they are ArmorCombatRanger or something like that. They are located in the fallouttextures.bsa file in your new vegas directory. Extract them with FOMM--it'll work fine.

After you've extracted them to a location inside your fallout3/data/textures directory, you must then find prometheus's model for whatever armor it is. You will need nifskope for this part.

Find the .nif model for whatever armor you want, and open it with nifskope. On the right,t here will be a bunch of text. You need to look for the text that says "BssShaderTextureSet". It has a purple icon next to it.

There are generally about a dozen of these texture sets. Each corresponds to a portion of the model. If you double click on the texture set, it should take you to a filepath. Change this filepath to the armorcombatranger textures. (The first line is for the main .dds, the second is for the _n.dds, and the rest can be ignored) This will take a LOT of tinkering, as there is no way of knowing what the line correlates to, or what the texture correlates to. It may never work. But, if it should work, BE SURE TO GO TO FILE/SAVE AS WHEN YOU ARE DONE.

Nifskope WILL close without warning you about unsaved data.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.

Oh, and DON'T UPLOAD.

Will give it a shot tommorow. I'm new to a lot of this so I really lost you after you mention nifskope, but I'll see what I can do.

Edit: I'm fairly certain I have everything ported right. It's just a matter of applying the right settings and such now. I have the models and textures in, and I know the world model works, but once I have it in my inventory, I can't apply it, so I'm unsure if the wearable model works.

Will give it a shot tommorow. I'm new to a lot of this so I really lost you after you mention nifskope, but I'll see what I can do.

Edit: I'm fairly certain I have everything ported right. It's just a matter of applying the right settings and such now. I have the models and textures in, and I know the world model works, but once I have it in my inventory, I can't apply it, so I'm unsure if the wearable model works.

Detectivep, I found some pretty straightforward tutorials for this, even you'd like to collaborate with me. I'm learning this stuff too, and maybe we can share our results. Here are some tutorials that I have yet to go through but looked promising:

How to customise an outfit in Nifscope articles

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/articles/article.php?id=295

Fallout Modelling Mini tutorial

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/82738-fallout-modelling-mini-tutorial/

And another one:

Skree's Easy Skinned Armor tutorial

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=131450&hl=

Alright, thank man, everything works. I got NCR armor into the game now. Gonna see about the other armors. Only thing I think I'd need help with then is replacing Dogmeat, but I would think it would work if I were to add the Rex files into the game and then use the GECK to select the Rex model as Dogmeat's model, no?