CoD Black Ops

MonsterHunterMaster

And?

The big thing about Call of Duty is the Multi-player. That's just the way it is. Honestly, I think if they thought they could get away with just selling a multiplayer, they would. (Which I would more than happily buy, if it was up to par with, or better than, it's predecessors.) The campaign is meant to tell a story, and it does that in a very scripted manner, which makes sense. This isn't Mass Effect, where everything you do could, and often would, change the way the whole game plays. If you want tactics and such, go play multi-player and get into stuff like Gamebattles and MLG. Or go play America's Army, there's a lot of tactics with little to no action.

I don't really get why you seem so surprised it's so guided, or "rail". Modern Warfare 2 was the same way, even Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was that way. It's kind of become the norm for campaign, because campaign isn't typically the focus anymore. That being said, I don't mind it. Campaigns are fun, no doubt, but I'm not about to replay the same story a dozen times. Even the best games, I might play the campaign 3-5 times, to complete different difficulties more than anything.

The real exception to that rule is games like Fallout: New Vegas. I've played it through about 5 times now, trying to get all the different options and see just how much I can affect the world and such. Similarly with Mass Effect, I liked taking different routes just to see how it'd go for me, because it was a new story every time.

EDIT: I shamelessly admit I am a CoD fan. Not a fanboy, I can see when things are messed up. MW2 had balance issues, but it was still a load of fun. Nothing more amusing than getting a USP + Tact Knife, Commando, Marathon, Lightweight and knifing the whole opposing team.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot stomach myself to get Black Ops. I have a game store like right across from me where I can just go in and try it first hand. I already finished COD4 and MW2 there. And I played both Multi at my Friends and I didn't like MW2. I don't want to play another disappointing game. I'll wait for a new game to take CODs place.

MW2 and Black Ops play nothing alike on multiplayer. You should give it a try if you know a friend who has it. Honestly, I think Black Ops plays more like Bad Company, as far as multiplayer. It's way more about accuracy than spray and pray. It's also a lot more.... I hesitate to use the word, but strategic. You can't just charge across the map and hope to win. You have to kind of think it out and try to out-play the enemy.

EDIT: If you're still not convinced, just buy Fallout: New Vegas. It's kinda FPSish, but is rather engaging and probably the best $50 I've spent on a single-player game in a looooong time.

Well it depends on how involved you want to get.

There are many points in the singleplayer that you drive everything from D-Boats to Mi-24-A HINDs and motorbikes, but in multiplayer, at the moment, the lineup is still fairly limited.

You've got the HIND, a high end killstreak reward that takes the place of the AC-130. You dont just get to shoot, you get to fly the whole thing-the controls are all yours. It's not very realistic, but it's a helluva lot of fun and can be an instant gamewinner.

You've also got the "doodlebug"-the RC-XD. This is a remote control toy car with about eight kilograms of C-4 strapped to it's chassis. You drive it across the map then hit left mouse to blow anything nearby to kindom come, It's exceptionaly fun to drive, with amazingly light controls and bouncy handling-and chasing enemies with a bomb laden RC buggy nevere gets old-but since it's vehicle #2 in the list, and there is no #3, Im afraid that's it.

It's most likely a working prototype for now. Perhaps in future CODs we'll see more and more involved vehicle gameplay, but for my two cents, I think Treyarch are just testing the water.

However, for all of you umming and ah-ing about getting this, take the plunge, you wont regret it. This is easily the best COD ever.

Meh IDK, I never played that :)

But I love this right now.

It's a pretty radical game change though. I mean, who ever would have predicted Akimbo would suddenly become so deadly? Not me, but if you've ever tried some of the high end "classified" gear, you'll know what im talking about. Those Jackhammer shotties are beyond uber when dual wielded, a single one is better than the SPAS, but two? epic. And the Kiparis isnt bad either, I'd still always preffer only one, but it really isnt bad if you can reliably get close-due simply to Akimbo being much more accuracte now when shot well.

I will however also give you a big tip: if you didnt play World At War, and are new to Black Ops, skip the credits at the end of the campaign on Regular-you get a truly hilarious bonus mission. No spoilers, but it's side splittingly funny depending on who you play as.

Gotta say, I love the ending so much, I got to play it today. I finally got my single-player working again. Apparently I accidentally deleted some files when I was cleaning out some old mods for AA3, which broke my BlOps single-player, zombies included. The end bonus that Vindekarr mentioned is probably worthy of being a game itself, and that's saying something.

EDIT: By the way, Fidel for the win. You'll know what I mean when you get there. (No, not the first mission...)