⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

2015 PC build, Looking for second opinions.

I was however under the impression that it was best to have the heatsink fan blowing on the heatsink instead of pulling air from it, so correct me if I'm wrong here.

Well, in this case a more accurate description imho would be that it actually pulls the air through the heatsink, kinda like how a car radiator gets cooled by the big fan right behind it, which pulls cold air right through the radiator.

Those stock CPU coolers do actually blow air onto the heatsink though. (That never really sat well with me btw. I mean, where's the hot air gonna go? to the sides towards the north bridge and Dimms?)

When you've got that Cooler Master CPU cooler equipped with 2 fans, one will be pulling in cold air and the other one will be pushing the now hot air out from the heatsink in between the two.

Previous computers I've had have been the kind where there was an intake and cone on the side with the fan blowing air directly onto the heatsink. The way it manages to work is because air is also being pulled in from the front and being pushed out the back, so unless the north bridge was between the processor and the exhaust, it was not particularly affected. Unless you have a higher end motherboard or are overclocking, you really shouldn't have that much heat being generated by the motherboard, so warmed air moving past it wasn't much of a factor. About the only problem I noticed was that you needed to have some decent fans blowing air out of your case so that front to back airflow was maintained, and that you needed to clean dust out of the heatsink about every year since it would frequently accumulate between the fan and the heatsink blocking most of the airflow.

Anyway, you're right, provided I can mount it where the fan faces backwards, it is probably best to be moving all the air from front to back and having my heatsink fan pull air through, even if this air technically has to come past the optical drive and hard drives and RAM before it comes to the heatsink.

So, got new PC up and running. Works fine. However when it came to transferring data ran into a big hitch.

When I put in my spare set of RAM in my old PC it wasn't seated right. When I turned it on there was a slight burning smell (like popcorn that has been in the microwave too long). After turning it off and trying again the Mobo beeps with a warning and doesn't post. Neither the RAM nor the motherboard have any obvious signs of damage. RAM doesn't smell smokey. But it still beeps a warning (no ram detected) and doesn't post. Unsure if I fried the memory controller or the RAM, or if there's some way to clear the error. Chances are that my old motherboard probably fried though.

Managed to copy over most of my data anyway, but mourning my loss.

Does your old mobo have a clear cmos jumper? Otherwise you can just remove the battery, then place it back again to reset the BIOS to factory default. Worth a shot.

If that doesn't works and there's still essential data on your old HDD, you could always just temporarily install it in your new PC.

Don't know if he's still around, but you could also try asking Werne. If anyone's got a lot of experience with this, then it's him.

Good to hear at least you got the new PC up and running.

I have an external enclosure for SATA drives, so was able to hook them up that way. It was slower but also didn't require me to mess around with cables and having to reboot every time. Best non-thinking purchase I ever made.

I am however noticing a few quirks with my new setup. First, the icons on desktop, and well damn near all the UI in Windows 7 feels larger. I've already tried setting them as small as I can and have the card at maximum resolution for the monitors, but it still feels too large. Unsure if it's something related to Win 7 professional, or if it's the differences between a Nvidia videocard verses a AMD one.

The other thing I'm noticing is that my fans don't seem to ever start getting up to speed. Have not managed to get my processor above 50c to know if it's bad stock fans for the case or not. Videocard gets to around 62c while under load and videocard fans don't go above 40%. Not sure if I'm reading the temperatures wrong for this hardware and it's just saving power, or if something related to fan speed isn't working right. Part of this is the fact that I can't seem to put the CPU above 40% load to see how well it handles heat combined with my unfamiliarity in how Nvidia cards typically perform. The MSI afterburner reports my GTX 970 to be at ~95% GPU usage and >70% RAM usage when I'm playing a few games on ultra settings, but it's also only showing 3000mb of Video RAM and 8000mb system RAM, so might not be configured right for this card. Speedfan is slightly better, but only shows temps.

• 1 month later...