Gameplay is better than TES5

vram1974

People keep raving about Fallout 4 but I'm not really looking forward to it. It'll probably be a dull broken mess that will draw modder's away from Fallout New Vegas but you never know I might be presently surprised.

I'm not really looking forward to it either, the only positive is it could be a step closer to another Obsidian game.

I really feel bad chipping in with the one dimensional character tropes for Bethesda games. Their technology and art are historically at the heart of their world building efforts, but when it comes to writing, that's where it suffers. Beth games are more about creating the opportunity for players to create their own experiences than anything else, and that is why the game survives so well, especially the TES and Fallout games.

Obsidian on the other hand are cored by ex- Black Isle guys, and virtually all of them are veteran Role Playing Game writers.They make very rich characters, stories, and atmosphere. Their technical skills, though, only very recently because a core human resources focus, and because of that campaign to re-brand themselves as bug-quashes after New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, KotOR2, and Dungeon Siege III's serious bug trouble.

New Vegas, as much as I love it though, they slipped up a little. It was such a wide, vast, almost banal place that the world-space diluted the character driven richness. That may just be Nevada though. :tongue: Deserts are notoriously hard to make rich places, since they're inherently barren outside of little pockets of civilization.

Fallout 3 had a story? I thought it had something to do with Liam Neeson trying to get his daughter back from the Enclave and Malcom McDowll...

Yeah New Vegas does need mods to add life to a lot of empty areas, I use Warzones with the increased spawns, Monster Wars and I have my respawn time set to 12 hours, there's rarely a dull moment now.

I would love to see what FNV could have been if Obsidian have been given all the time and resources FO3 had, I think the land really suffered from that the most. But they still put out top notch characters and story.

In FO3 at the characters have a reason to be insane, I mean the world ended and now everyone eats 200 year old Salisbury steaks with radiation up the butt. Thats the way I role play it at least, I am the only sane person because I have not been exposed to the rads yet. Not sure what the Skyrim peoples excuse is lol. XD

• 3 weeks later...

completely agree with you OP, Skyrim is no where near the quality of NV in terms of RPG. I still don't see the appeal in Skyrim, even modded to the brim (which I have done) the story and shitty dialogue (they had like 2-3 different voice actors?) could never keep me in. Well I've been playing NV and love it, so into the story and characters and my companions especially, here are some must have mods that I use:

- Fallout character overhaul + New Vegas redesigned 3 (these are 2 different mods, when installing them its critical you install FCO first than NVR3 after and always put the NVR3.esp at the end of your load order) - these 2 mods are just a must have, imo, they make everyone look pretty realistic and definitely adds a ton to immersion

- JIP companion command - the must have companion mod, lets you have unlimited companions, adds an ARPG style character avatars to the hud and a whole bunch of other useful and convenient commands like pointing them to an area to stand guard or wait/relax/attack targets etc, the best part of the mod is that you can command your companions globally or individually by holding the specified hotkey!

- NV stutter remover - works like a charm

- MCM - must have

- UIO - very reliable compatibility program that fixes/patches most of the more popular mods (mostly UI stuff)

- weapons mod and its expansion along with the weapons mod menu (used to install/remove mods)

- project nevada - combines a lot of must have mods (sprint, bullet time, damage multipliers, other good stuff)

- more perks - adds a crapton of perks over 100+

- cinematech/imaginator - its really brilliant, forget using those ENB you can achieve great looking graphics with these mods

- centered 3rd person camera - I use it when I feel like playing an ARPG kind of playthrough

- EVE - lots of really awesome visual effects added to deathblow animations mostly from energy weapons

also you should learn to use the 4gb launcher or else your game will crash often, ever since I've started using it, no crashes, at all!

Edited by linsanity169

New Vegas, as much as I love it though, they slipped up a little. It was such a wide, vast, almost banal place that the world-space diluted the character driven richness. That may just be Nevada though. :tongue: Deserts are notoriously hard to make rich places, since they're inherently barren outside of little pockets of civilization.

Souns like they should have poached the writing team behind Red Dead Redemption.

Souns like they should have poached the writing team behind Red Dead Redemption.

What for? the writing in the game is very good, it was a lack of development time that led to the world feeling a bit empty.