I have a fear.

Keanumoreira

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have twice been lost in the mountains in southern Europe, without being scared at all, thoug I was inches from dying. I fear nothing, except:

Spiders. :sick:

In my younger days I could not be in a room with a spider. I have worked with it during all my life, and today I can even touch a house spider (for 1 min) :excl:

I also had the water thing, when I was young. Deep water, where I was unable to see the buttom, scared the sh;;t out of me. Especially in the south I would be absolutely sure that a 20 feet shark was waiting for me down there.(music from JAWS here). I am an avid svimmer, and love to swim, so like with the spiders, I have forced my self to swim as much as possible in deep waters, at home, and abroad.

What I am trying to tell is, that it is possible to work with ones fobias. I think like @satanslittlehelper says, it is more about loosing control, as the fear itself.

What scares me most of all is being outside in public alone :( It's not as bad as it used to be, but sometimes I'll slip into a panic attack :(

Oh, I know how that feels. I don't take pressure very well, so I'll begin to walk around suspiciously and push people out of my way. I usually calm down after five minutes where I can find whoever took me there, but I still haven't completly let go of it just yet...

It takes time...I used to get panic attacks nearly all the time I used to go outside alone. I haven't had one in awhile though. I normally can't calm myself down from them...boyfriend always helps :) I went into one at my auntie's house a few weeks ago though...which is weird, I normally don't have them around people I know. But I calmed myself down from that one :)

Even after all the concerts I've been to in my life, crowds still freak me out. People in general still do...I always think they are staring at me or saying things about me. I always get hit on too :( My boyfriend says I should take it as a compliment...but all it does is freak me out.

Spiders...ergh. I know they are good creatures and all, but why do they have to be so scary?! :pinch: Lots of bugs creep me out too, those weird house centipede things....they are all fast and have all these little legs...eww!

Crowd panics can be medicated. I had it before as a part of my bipolar disorder, but only in the depressive fase. A side effect of the medicine is know to cure crowd panics. I don´t have it anymore, either in depressive fases. :smile:

Perhaps the medication also helped in my work on water/spider thing mentioned in previous post.

What scares me most of all is being outside in public alone :( It's not as bad as it used to be, but sometimes I'll slip into a panic attack :(

Oh, I know how that feels. I don't take pressure very well, so I'll begin to walk around suspiciously and push people out of my way. I usually calm down after five minutes where I can find whoever took me there, but I still haven't completly let go of it just yet...

It takes time...I used to get panic attacks nearly all the time I used to go outside alone. I haven't had one in awhile though. I normally can't calm myself down from them...boyfriend always helps :) I went into one at my auntie's house a few weeks ago though...which is weird, I normally don't have them around people I know. But I calmed myself down from that one :)

Even after all the concerts I've been to in my life, crowds still freak me out. People in general still do...I always think they are staring at me or saying things about me. I always get hit on too :( My boyfriend says I should take it as a compliment...but all it does is freak me out.

Spiders...ergh. I know they are good creatures and all, but why do they have to be so scary?! :pinch: Lots of bugs creep me out too, those weird house centipede things....they are all fast and have all these little legs...eww!

That sounds a little extreme...

Are you sure its not from a disorder or a trauma or anything L cause that sounds very serious. I don't think I've ever heard of something of this nature.

Edited by Keanumoreira

Illiad-and infact all the arachnophobics here, something you may find comforting:

Out of all the species of spider in the world, usualy only one per country is even mildly capable of harming a human.

Most of the things we take as fact about spiders are actualy myths. They're like wolves-completely mis understood. People are often terrified of wolves, but there has not been a fatality from a wolf attack in the USA in four-hundred years.

Likewise spiders are harmless creatures. Typicaly the larger they are, the more aware they are, and all of them, except for two Australian species, and one Chinese/north Asian species, are absolutely petrified of humans, and will usualy flee if aproached.

If you want them to go away, just stomp around, Spiders can sense vibrations with special sensors in their claws-if you stomp near them, they'll flee 90 degrees from the stomp, large vibrations terrify them.

I myself, as a child, was absolutely terrified of large arachnids of any kind, but I studied them, learned what they are like, and learned to identify their species and thus how they will act, and now-look, I've got two as pets.

If you want to overcome a fear, confront it, do some research on 'em and I swear, you'll find them half as scary. And besides, why fear spiders, which are for the most part, extremely gentle creatures, when you could fear these instead! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lobster.jpg <=== Horrible, Horrible biting gnashing thing!

And anyway, I can list the harmful spider species of the world, out millions of species, in one sentance: Atrax Robustus(Sydney Funnel-Webbed spider, deadliest spider in the known world, 13 deaths, none since anti-vemon was invented) Hadronych Formidabilis(Dalby Funnel Webbed Spider, extremely painful bite, weakening) Loxosceles Reclusa(American Brown Recluse Spider, extremely shy, but a damaging, easily infected bite) Latrodectus Mactans(Black Widow, 5% of bites proved fatal pre-antivemon, but only in the old and already sick, no deaths post antivenom) Sicarius S. Sicarius (Six Eyed Sand Spider, One death recorded, was a very small child and already sick) Phonuetria Fera(Brazilian Wandering Spider, a handful of deaths in the old and sick)

And finaly, the bigger they are, the less venomous, with the one exception of the Australian Atrax, which is hyper-venomous. Large spiders like Tarantulas and Lycosan Wolf Spiders, are actualy gentle creatures, very timid. A Tarantula will actualy rear up and hiss at you instead of biting, and even if it did, the venom is about as harmful as an ant sting. And Wolf spiders simply flee-something inhumanly good at being incredibly fast and agile.

Hmm.

I used to have a lot of stage fright, but it is mostly gone since the educational system forced me through all the pain.

I personally find spiders intriguing. And V's right as far as harmful spiders go.

Edited by AliasTheory

I'm not freaked out about spiders, but when they land on you from the ceiling, that kind of freaked me out :blink: .

It happened to me twice, minding my own business reading a book and what do you know a black and very ugly spider lands on my arm??

Edited by Thor.

bees/wasps/hornets... scare the living daylights out of me

Also Wasps I am afraid of, bee's not so much, they only attack when threatened.

Edited by Thor.