New advanced search filter to sort by usable assets

Dark0ne

I'm puzzled by posts such as this. If I'm reading it correctly, the author wishes to use the CCL (or GPL, or GNU, or whatever particular reference framework the poster prefers.) As far as I know, there's nothing stopping an author from doing so. One can publish one's own work using any such licensing, or none, as one choses.

If it was truly 100% your own work, then yes.

The vast majority of Mods however require the developer's game to work and are, as such, derivative works that may or may not be (which appears to be what that poster is wondering) subject to the developer's EULA.

It's one of the main reasons I never understood why certain Modders are so... vehement about rights issues. If the developer has given 'you' the right to Mod their game, and 'your' Mod would not even exist without their game, then what exactly gives 'you' the right to deny others the right to Mod your Mod?

I'm puzzled by posts such as this. If I'm reading it correctly, the author wishes to use the CCL (or GPL, or GNU, or whatever particular reference framework the poster prefers.) As far as I know, there's nothing stopping an author from doing so. One can publish one's own work using any such licensing, or none, as one choses.

If it was truly 100% your own work, then yes.

The vast majority of Mods however require the developer's game to work and are, as such, derivative works that may or may not be (which appears to be what that poster is wondering) subject to the developer's EULA.

It's one of the main reasons I never understood why certain Modders are so... vehement about rights issues. If the developer has given 'you' the right to Mod their game, and 'your' Mod would not even exist without their game, then what exactly gives 'you' the right to deny others the right to Mod your Mod?

Ummm, the exact same "rights of authorship" that allowed the creators(s) of the original work to grant or deny any modder the right to use the primary work. If they granted the use of it under one of the various "public" licenses, and included the terms requiring the further granting of those rights in any derivatives, then so be it.

Interestingly enough, I have yet to see Bethesda or EA, (to name a couple of prominent copyright holders involved with materials here on Nexus) make such a restriction (or require its absence, depending on how one looks at it!) So obviously THEY feel it's important to keep these sorts of rights clearly in-place.

@Offkorn: We're not strictly talking about modding someone else's mod; we're talking about using someone else's content in our mods. Both, at least in DA, require having access to sections of their content that they may not want to share with just anyone, due to the amount of work involve in creating it.

Will there be a time that the admins can filter the files in the categories, I mean some mods/plug-ins don't belong on the category they are at and belong to another category that's much more suitable to their mods/plug-ins description or what it does.

@psychophat: We currently have between 30,000 and 40,000 mods. Get busy and send us a comprehensive list, please include what category it's in now, what category you think it should be in, and why. :tongue:

In all seriousness. It's no longer feasible to change or even check the categories for that number of mods. But we do offer points for tagging them and we do have a filter that works with the tags.:thumbsup:

On any file in the downloads, look to the far right of the tabs for the tab 'Tags' and click on it. Tagging helps the filter work better. And it can be done by anyone. :cool:

would be nice to keep track of my active mod downloads without having them be removed after 30 days. Specially for mods that are constantly changing/updating.

I understand that the premium accounts allows users to keep track of all download history but not everyone can throw money around like an American.