So I have always wanted a Blu Ray Player......

soot00

LOL, shouldn't every household have a flat screen HD TV these days? Prices are so cheap now stores are practically giving them away.

Judging by this statement I'm guessing that you are not from a blue-collar, middle-class background and thus would be surprised by how many households these days do not have such TVs and game consoles. There are also many families that cannot afford personal computers or the internet. Sure, the media these days depicts children as emerging from the womb with Bluetooths and BlackBerrys already equipped, but the truth is that keeping up-to-date with technology is something that common folks just can't afford if they still want to have enough money for rent or food.

I apologize if that sounded like a personal attack because it was not intended as such. I merely happened across this thread, saw the post and felt a need to respond with my opinion.

Some people just don't care about hd tv's too

@ Evilhead:

My statement did NOT ever hint that I was supportive of either side of consoles, nor would I ever. By the way, Crysis' tricks are handled using some pretty clever lighting, which is a hard to explain (especially if you don't mod). Don't try and start a flame war here if you please.

I'm not trying to start one, sorry.

I've been looking into the blu-ray and I must say it looks good, although I would have to see it to believe, can anybody confirm that it's not a gimmick?

I might get one then.

I like the PS3. I've been used to the controls. Also, Fifa and MW2 seem to lag a bit less.

But mainly it comes down to controls and how they fit my hand. I've used every Playstation there is (PS1-3, PSP), and the controls seem to come far easier to me than learning a brand new layout as well.

Blu ray does make a big difference if you are connected through HDMI, trust me its a wow factor of ten :teehee: :teehee: Edited by Thor.

• 2 months later...

Not really, VGA works good. HDMI on console is a wow factor (for console fan), but you get better quality on computer with a BD player and nvidia video tweaking. you get to play 1080p blue rays while connected with a VGA cable, you can get a better quality with HDMI of course, but not that overwhelming.

Summary: if you do have a HD teevi and looking for the extra wow factor, go for a BD player. if you got a computer, you can enjoy a BluRay more then any PS3's can.

Source: Personal expereince, played BDs on both PS3 and PC.

• 1 month later...
There were some blind tests done on AVForums (or somewhere like that) done with various players, the PS3 scored very highly with no real noticeable difference between the PS3 and high end stand alone players. Buying a PS3 is a no brainer for those who like movies and also play games, yes the games look bad compared to the PC but there are a lot of titles not available on the PC, missing out on those because the graphics are poor is a little sad.

This is coming from some one who just had to spend 120 to have my ps3 serviced when the Bluray drive died.

do NOT use the Ps3 for bluray. It kills the thing and since all the games are bluray if the bluray drive goes your screwed till you fix it.